Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
I haven't checked all of them, but I confess I was troubled some that the first "correction" had actually got it wrong

If you are going to change "by" to "but", you will need to remove the preceding comma.
A very good afternoon to you Dave,

Trusting that you are well and that life is treating you kindly!

Many thanks indeed for the feedback. I’m always willing to accept feedback from anyone.

Dave, firstly, I did indeed write to the publisher on 11 July 2019. At the very least I was expecting the publisher to set me straight. I will include extracts from my email discussion with them. I won’t include the entire email as it contains some confidential information. I will, however, make the entire email available to you for independent verification should you deem it necessary.

P.S I deleted my name from the email that the publisher sent me.

Secondly I didn’t look at the punctuation.

kate.elton@harpercollins.co.uk
Dear Madam,

1. Firstly, I stand to be corrected on what I stated herein. However, I doubt very much that I am wrong!
2. In the publication with the following details, there is a spelling mistake alternatively a typographical error on page 84
3: Details of publication: Wilbur Smith: Predator: Orion Mintaka (UK)Ltd:2016: First published in Great Britain: Harper Collins Publishers:2016 Page 84, sentence13

It reads as follows: ‘’He wanted people to know that however he might look now, he’d started out as a blue-collar kid, working his way up from nothing by ability, determination and damned hard work.”
It should read:
He started out as a blue-collar kid working his way up from nothing but ability, determination and damned hard work

Dear ,

We thank you for your email regarding the errors you spotted in both Predator and Sahara.

Although we work diligently to avoid such errors, proofreading is a human skill and, as such, is occasionally subject to human error. We greatly appreciate that you informed us of these errors and would like to assure you that, if these haven’t already been corrected, they will be swiftly.

Many thanks,

Bethan

PA to Kate Elton & Roger Cazalet
HarperCollinsPublishers
THE NEWS BUILDING
1 LONDON BRIDGE STREET | LONDON | SE1 9GF
PHONE: +44 (0) 208 307 4095 |

My very important point here is that I expected the publisher to set me straight. Failure of the publisher to do so was tacit acceptance that I was indeed correct!

I now deal with that sentence itself. “By,” is a preposition. Prepositions are little words that show where things are in relation to each other. For instance “on,” “under,” and “from,” whereas “but,” is a conjunction or a joining word. For instance: “but,” and “therefore.”

Which of the following two sentences, which contain verifiable facts about myself is most correct?

I successfully completed law school from nothing by determination and perseverance.

I successfully completed law school from nothing but determination and perseverance.

I know that the photos are not clear, so it’s back to the drawing board with the photos.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ca.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	8099

[1]Coyote Back to the drawing board

Anyway I think it’s better for me to state the disclaimer that I sated in my email to the publisher in 2019. I stand to be corrected about the following alledged spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors.

Dave, I would appreciate it if you could go through the rest of the list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	8100

For most of the errors I picked up on that list, I did write to the publishers and received similar responses.

[1] Coyote Back to the drawing board https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...xj3DqSQ7Y3BD3M (date of use 20 January 2021)