Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Metals Industry strike - my take

Thanks
    Maybe this thread should be send to Number One...
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    I got this information from one of my customer in SA.i'm the chinese guy.i wish this strike will pass soon.I just know,if the boat want go faster and steady,we need much peace.And i have been to SA by last year of May,i like there and love the peoples there.Wishes everything goes well.God bless you!!!

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (01-Aug-14)

Thanks
    Off the cuff..Suffice to say it, but this is a very contentious issue. If one asks a simple question: What drives the economy? And one attempts to answer it, one cannot leave human capital out of the equation.
    To compound matters, we have the Constitutional right to strike as well as the right to form groups. The legislatures answer to the problem of strikes is the Labour Relations Amendment Bill which will limit the right to strike by making it compulsory for arbitration to take place first[among other things].

We’ve seen the tenaciousness of workers themselves. We’ve witnessed how workers essentially fired their unions for the lack of better expression.

In a well functioning economy. One wouldn’t find these problems as there would be a reasonable supply of employment. If so, the worker simply says, ‘I don’t want to work for employer A because of the low wages, and then moves on to employer B who will pay the higher wage. This is where the problem lies, we don’t have this situation in SA.

A solution, I don’t see one being implemented effectively and efficiently.
    The ultimate problem: Forcing human capital to work happily for an amount the employer determines
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Firstly no person accept the unions can speak on the unions behalf and it is the union’s job to make sure that all laws are followed to the letter. All their actions must be by the letter of the law also their actions. If those that act illegally are not being held accountable then all South Africans must ask why as no one is suppose to be above the law.
    Hi Teco can you explain the bit in red why can't the unions speak for the unions?
    Why aren't the people break law during the strikes be arrested and convicted?
    As for Labour Brokers the only way I see this changing is when the employer has the same right to fire an employee as the employee has to resign without due cause.

Labour Broking is here as the laws for firing an employee are very onerous for the employer.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Labour Broking is here as the laws for firing an employee are very onerous for the employer.
    To be honest, I really don't think that the legal requirements for dismissing an employee are that onerous. Obviously it is a lot easier for an employee to quit their job than it is for an employer to fire someone, but I don't agree that requiring employers to have a fair reason for dismissing someone and giving their employees an opportunity to respond to those reasons is that unreasonable.

Furthermore, there are some employers that have no interest in complying with any labour regulations - even those that are reasonable and fair - and have used labour brokerers to exploit their workers without breaking the law. Which is why the changes to the Labour Relations Act will make these practices illegal.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    To be honest, I really don't think that the legal requirements for dismissing an employee are that onerous. Obviously it is a lot easier for an employee to quit their job than it is for an employer to fire someone, but I don't agree that requiring employers to have a fair reason for dismissing someone and giving their employees an opportunity to respond to those reasons is that unreasonable.

Furthermore, there are some employers that have no interest in complying with any labour regulations - even those that are reasonable and fair - and have used labour brokerers to exploit their workers without breaking the law. Which is why the changes to the Labour Relations Act will make these practices illegal.
    Just read on the forum how sometimes it is worthwhile not getting a lawyer and paying out 3 months at CCMA now instead of running your business efficiently you have to worry about this.
    BTW I gave an employee an extra R500 this month as she really goes above and beyond she is so chuffed. I prefer to do positive things like this instead of hearings warnings etc.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Just read on the forum how sometimes it is worthwhile not getting a lawyer and paying out 3 months at CCMA now instead of running your business efficiently you have to worry about this.
    BTW I gave an employee an extra R500 this month as she really goes above and beyond she is so chuffed. I prefer to do positive things like this instead of hearings warnings etc.
    Fuck em
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Blow View Post
    Fuck em
    Lol, who?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Teco can you explain the bit in red why can't the unions speak for the unions?
    Why aren't the people break law during the strikes be arrested and convicted?
    As for Labour Brokers the only way I see this changing is when the employer has the same right to fire an employee as the employee has to resign without due cause.

Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Firstly no person accept the unions can speak on the unions behalf
    well obviously one cannot speak on behalf of someone else. One can speculate but that is all it would be "speculation"
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Consider changing wage incomes so x% is paid as regular wages and y% as shares which pay dividends, with conditions preventing them from being sold for several years ?

May encourage mutual consideration of the longer term welfare of employing company.

BTW such requires an income which at least meets basic needs, as well as cultivating minds, not hunter-gatherer minds....

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast