Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought: High Heels

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This girl rocks when it comes to footwear!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1780041_569269606520743_1282808258_o.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	4528

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I find this very hard to believe. Men have the exact same problem with stirrups. The addition of heels to riding boots was purely to keep the boot in the stirrup and had no relation to the sex of the rider. I bet that men wore stirrup heels long before women did.

You must also consider the definition of high heels. A stirrup heel doesn't need to be higher than about 15mm which is not considered to be a high heel. High heels are anything over about 40mm which is too high for horse riding.
    "Elizabeth Semmelhack, curator for the Bata Shoe Museum, traces the high heel to male horse-riding warriors in the Middle East who used high heels for functionality, because they help hold the rider's foot in stirrups. She states that the earliest high heel she has seen is depicted on a 9th-century CE ceramic bowl from Persia"[1]

Also bear in mind that in historically, we had a very sexist world i.e. 'it's a man's world,' this has changed for the better. The implication is that a man would by necessity have a proper cowboy boot, the heel of a cowboy boot was and is very manly.
    Somewhere along the historical line women started to ride horses, so something had to be done with their footwear to accommodate the stirup

On the lighter side, a well dressed lady in high heels definitely has some effect on men..

[1] Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-heeled_footwear. Accessed 1 April 2014
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

3. Thanks given for this post:

KristiKat (01-Apr-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    dangerous fall if the heel gets stuck in the stirrup ... getting dragged behind a horse on full speed...don't think so
    “Curiousity is the discovery of satan, the devil was hidden and far, now he stares everyone in the face.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson There is evil! It's actual, like cement... I can't believe it. I can't stand it. Evil is not a view... it's an ingredient in us. In the world. Poured over us, filtering into our bodies, minds, hearts, into the pavement itself.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I took a looooot of photographs at a horse riding competition that my youngest daughter took part in on Sunday.

Check these photographs out: A young lady by the name of Annette riding a horse called Blood Diamond. That horse is like a Lamborghini with its traction control turned off. Annette handles the horse like she's Mario Andretti!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anette_Blood_Diamond 2 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	4535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anette_Blood_Diamond (Medium).jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	4534  

6. Thanks given for this post:

KristiKat (10-Apr-14)

Thanks
    I believe theres a correlation between the height of the women's heels and her general reliance on men or her man.
    The higher the heel, the more the reliance.
    Generally I have found this to be true, but other than my own observations have no other empirical evidence.
    The reverse could also be true in that the man is more reliant on the women specifically for sexual reasons (observations again).
    There is definitely a correlation in men's blood pressure vs height of heel and shoe colour may also affect this. Blood pressure colour is still just red.
    Which of course confirms my theory that red high heel shoes are rated the best.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

8. Thank given for this post:

adrianh (01-Apr-14), pmbguy (01-Apr-14)

Thanks
    High heels are very sexy on ladies, bearing in mind, this last week I can't remember where I saw it, but some crazy lady stabbed a man to death with her stilletto [excuse spelling!] heel! So they sure have more than one function besides probably messing up the back! It is very funny when the heal gets stuck somewhere and the person goes flying out of their shoe [haha] I am sure it's happened to the best of us ...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I took this photograph at the Free Comic Book Cosplay event held at Cavendish today....I suuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrreeee dig high heels!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2629 (Large).jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	4684

Thanks
    Adrian, did you speak to her?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    If my wife and I happen to see a woman dressed like superwoman my wife would immediately say "no pmbguy please don't" and already start squirming with embarrassment, I would naturally choose a character and role play...
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    I am happy to say I don't need to use stirrups and saddle! The horse doesn't even know that I'm on it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast