Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking at work........

Thanks
    2nd sentence: people/employees who smoke at work are they entitled to smoke at work?

Thanks
    so Adrian, when you say you wouldn't employ a smoker is that not discrimination which is against the labour act?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Ah but you see, I have right to evaluate the suitability of a person to fit into my workplace and I feel that smokers are unsuitable for my workplace. I don't employ people who are addicted to drugs. - BTW; I consider Nicotine addiction just the same as Heroin addiction, think about it, a person who is unable to function without taking a little hit every hour has a serious problem. I have no sympathy for smokers just as I have no sympathy for drug addicts, I've been both and I overcame both therefore I feel that I've earned the right to make my judgement (like it, do't like it, that is my position)

Thanks
    Ayt, I feel you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Smoking at work isn’t a problem at all for me and yes I am a none smoker. But I seriously don’t mind second-hand smoke. Partly because we live in an area where you can actually see the pollution in clear sunlight so really smoking is the last thing on my mind.

That said you do get electronic cigarettes that can be used in hospitals for example. But let’s be clear on this for a moment. I want to see a ban on alcohol sponsors. And a new law that states that you are not allow to consume alcohol when children are around. The reality is alcohol is responsible for more deaths, abuse and violence then cigarettes.

Anyone that doesn't want to employ a smoker is a selfish snob. The reality some people have stress medication others, illegal drugs. But if you want to Victimize someone just for having a smoke “electronic or otherwise” then why do business with you in the first place? I wouldn’t do business with anyone that victimize someone else.

sorry I couldn't leave this topic alone.

simple truth is you want to victimize someone then remember the power of word of mouth. Trust me it hits harder then what most people think.

Also consider that people that uses any type of drug “medical or otherwise” is still using a drug regardless of its label. this is fact so if one is unfit then by definition all must be unfit.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Ah but you see, I have right to evaluate the suitability of a person to fit into my workplace and I feel that smokers are unsuitable for my workplace. I don't employ people who are addicted to drugs. - BTW; I consider Nicotine addiction just the same as Heroin addiction, think about it, a person who is unable to function without taking a little hit every hour has a serious problem. I have no sympathy for smokers just as I have no sympathy for drug addicts, I've been both and I overcame both therefore I feel that I've earned the right to make my judgement (like it, do't like it, that is my position)
    I can't believe I thought of you as a friend

I have no respect for people that can't respect other people. The truth is everyone is different. You where strong enough to stop smoking thus everyone weaker then you is nothing and has no place in your world. That is just sad.

Let me spell it out for you, you have no right to judge anyone.

I am not saying smoking is right but this is worse.

Victimization is really oppression to force your will onto others

I know what it is to be victimized and it is not fun. So I cannot support it. And I be damned to hell before I stand [next or with] anyone that victimize others.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zobs View Post
    Vanash what's your personal view?
    My personal view is that the Government should realize how much tax they generate from cigarrettes and furthermore that the workplace should have designated areas for smokers. The rationale being that if you want to have a smoke in your tea time or lunch time, you should feel free to do so. The legislation and bills keep changing, I'm actually not aware of what the law, as it currently stands says about this?
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

8. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (04-Mar-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    The reality is alcohol is responsible for more deaths, abuse and violence then cigarettes.
    I can't help but share Tec0's sentiment here! Alcohol destroys lives but cigarretes don't. It's not a mind altering drug. It may eventually kill the user, but that's as far as it goes. I light up about 6 times a day. I did quit for several years, but smoking does give me some degree of satisfaction.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

10. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (04-Mar-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    You can't get arrested for possession of cigarrettes but you can for drugs! You can smoke when you drive but you can't drink and drive! Cigarrettes are not mind altering substances. Yes, it's unhealthy for the user and everytime you buy a pack you see the ugly messages it has about you and cancer etc. It doesn't destroy our environment as much as truck polution..
    Click here
    sabbaticus

12. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (04-Mar-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    I can't help but share Tec0's sentiment here! Alcohol destroys lives but cigarretes don't. It's not a mind altering drug. It may eventually kill the user, but that's as far as it goes. I light up about 6 times a day. I did quit for several years, but smoking does give me some degree of satisfaction.
    It is shown that passive smoking is as dangerous, or more so, than smoking yourself.

So killing yourself is NOT "as far as it goes" - you are also affecting the non smokers around you.

I saw a sticker re smoking once.

Guy said - Your smoking makes me smell, and affects my lungs.

I enjoy a beer, the side effect is urine.

Do you mind if I come and eliminate my urine in your lap?

I have a friend who dies of cancer from smoking. He drowned on the blood in his throat.

So - don't say it doesn't destroy lives. It certainly, and definitely, does.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast