Thread: What I would do If I ran SA

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Suspended
    Thanks

What I would do If I ran SA

These come to the top of my mind.

1) Eskom would be broken up into two parts. Distribution and Generation.
    2) Distribution would be broken up into 9 parts (each province would get a distribution company in their region)
    3) The amount of charge each distribution company would be fixed at 15% of end user costs ergo if power costs 100 rand the distribution company would add 15 on top of it. The reason for this is so that there is a level field for power producers.
    4**) Power producers would be privatized either by selling 75% or outright stakes to internationals. You could theoretically simply divide them into various companies that have diversified locale and gradually list them on JSE to keep them local and induce investment.
    5) Breaking up Metrorail, All Metro-Rail and local transit authorities should be given to the Cities in which they operate instead of national. Ergo Cape metro should be locally operated/controlled and same in J'burg, Durban, etc... simply to keep costs contained and not nationalized. Like it is in most cities in world from Toronto, Chicago, Ny, Stockholm, Moscow, etc... (all own and operate their metro by the city authority)
    6) Breaking up Transnet and devolving port authority to cities in which they are located is preferable but could privatize as well I guess.
    7) Both Passenger and Freight rail would be combined and split into 3 companies based on direction. Ergo East, West, and Central. With an integrated logistics center to accommodate smoothness of traffic across the system.
    8) ACSA and SAA would be broken up. Airports would be devolved to cities where they are located.
    9) I actually think the best system for SA would be similar to a Canadian system. Tax rates would be cut in half across the board and 50/50 Federal/Province split with provinces being able to charge up the what the Federal Gov't charges. Ergo if Feds charge 20% income/vat/etc tax province can do the same or make it lower.
    10) Yes I would probably scrap BEE or at least have a sunset clause for it.
    11*) Total free speech referendum all of this 'incitement' bs is going to get worse I figure.
    12) A flat tax of 20% on federal level that way everyone feels the gov't must be honest fiduciarialy wise.
    13) Child grants would be cut, I don't get the incentive. Paying people to have kids is absurd. Although we do that here in the U.S. as well. (btw if you spent 12.7 billion this year and it went to 14.7 billion next year (growth of 16%)
    it should double in 4.5 years ergo in 2016.5 or 17.5 it will hit 25.5 billion (or 210 bil rand)
    To put it somewhat differently it will go from 1/8th of the budget to 1/4 of the budget and then 1/2 of the budget every 4.5 years assuming constant growth at current levels.
    http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/bu...grants-by-2015
    Spending on social grants will grow from R105 billion in 2012/13, to R122 billion in 2014/15, the 2012 Budget Review shows.
    14) Excise taxes on alcohol would be eliminated. Incentive for wine producers etc... having niche taxes makes gov'ts feel entitles to crank them up because they impact "niche groups"

Monopolies are never good concentrated in a singular monopoly. I would even go as far as letting companies bid for long term leases in ports. Ergo if I was Durban and got the port after they went to cities, I would sell quays to companies like MAERSK to operate them so as not to deal with Bureaucracy and bloating budgets for overpaid workers. To maximize competition for prices through ports and even within ports. Granted some terminals are specific anyways.

*I feel your free speech is going to end up like libel laws in Britain where free speech simply is erased and eradicated by liability and simply speaking in your case it will be killed off by malicious prosecution that labels it a menace to society under some pretext, after that its over basically but this is a business forum so no point debating that.
    **at the very least BEE for energy generating companies would have to be scrapped or the 25% equity kept by the government itself to keep them compliant from outset.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (26-Sep-12)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.