Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cooper View Post
I reckon religious holidays should be allowed - to a point.

Christian holidays are actually only 2 - Good Friday and Christmas day.

Maybe the Christians can observe theirs, Muslims theirs, etc - up to a set number per year (I believe Jewish Holidays can total 8 - or more - which I think is unreasonable)?

Then, the Jews, Muslims (and others) will work on Christmas and Easter, covering the Christian Holidays, the Christians and Muslims cover the Jews, etc.

Then maybe SA won't close down from 16th December to early Jan every year, costing the economy a fortune!
A very good afternoon to you Phil! You avoided a proliferation of the collateral issues and got staright to a possible way forward. We must have a respect for all people and for all religions! Religious freedom is a Constitutional right. You can even invent a new religion, if that's what you really want to do! It won't be practical to our economy to classify every religious holiday as a public holiday. This would mean that we would then have about 60 public holidays in a year. It's also wrong to preclude anyone from observing a holy day(or perceived holy day) for what ever reason they have. In fairness, add 3 days to everyone's mandatory 3 weeks leave. They then apply for leave for those days. My gripe is not with public holidays or holy days but simply that Christmas and Easter is not Biblical...