Hi, in desperate need of some advice!
Today a sheriff of the court arrived with a default judgement taken against my husband, to attach property to the value of R19000. The case concerned was from an accident in 2008 in which my husband was not involved. He arrived on the scene of a work-related accident (a TLB driven by a company operator drove into the back of a car), and provided his details for correspondence. The lawyers who contacted him were then given the details of the owner of the company and the particulars for insurance, etc. In 2009 my husband received a summons to appear in court relating to this case, as he was personally being sued for the amount owing. He refused to accept the summons and asserted again that it was not HIS accident and he was not liable. He then contacted the lawyers concerned, gave them particulars once again, and thought that was that. Now he has the default judgement against him. WHAT CAN WE DO?? Surely as it was neither himself operating the TLB, nor was the TLB his or in any way his responsibility, this is an error?? We can't afford hefty lawyer fees but at the same time we most certainly aren't going to pay R19000 for something that did not concern us?! Any advise will be greatly appreciated!!