Poll: Old School Music is cool

Page 71 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Old school music is cool!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    Jamming: Bob Marley: 1977: Album: Exodus: One love Peace Concert: 22 April 1978

Attachment 3620

“ I wanna jam it with you.. Hope you like jammin', too!” There was one occasion where Bob Marley put on a soldier’s uniform and cap i.e. album cover ‘Rastaman Vibration.’ I think he felt it necessary because of his song ‘WAR!’ He addresses a great many things in this song especially how he was against the philosophy which creates a class struggle and racial struggle.
    Photo[1]

“This concert was held during a political civil war in Jamaica between opposing parties Jamaican Labour Party and the People's National Party. The concert came to its peak during Bob Marley & The Wailers' performance of "Jammin'", when Marley joined the hands of political rivals Michael Manley (PNP) and Edward Seaga (JLP).”[2]

“Just let me tell you something (yeah), to make everything come true, we gotta be together. (Yeah, yeah, yeah) and through the spirit of the Most High we're inviting a few leading people of the slaves to shake hands. . . To show the people that you love them right, to show the people that you gonna unite, show the people that you're over bright, show the people that everything is all right. Watch, watch, watch, what you're doing, because I wanna send a message right out there. I mean, I'm not so good at talking but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Well, I'm trying to say, could we have, could we have, up here onstage here the presence of Mr. Michael Manley and Mr. Edward Seaga. I just want to shake hands and show the people that we're gonna make it right, we're gonna unite, we're gonna make it right, we've got to unite . The moon is right over my head, and I give my love instead. The moon was right above my head, and I give my love instead.”

The Old School legends promoted peace and love!

Ooh, yeah; well, alright
    We're jammin'
    I wanna jam it with you
    We're jammin', jammin'
    And I hope you like jammin' too
    Ain't no rules, ain't no vow
    We can do it anyhow
    I and I will see you through
    'Cause every day we pay the price
    We are the living sacrifice
    Jammin' till the jam is through

We're jammin'
    To think that jammin' was a thing of the past
    We're jammin'
    And I hope this jam is gonna last
    No bullet can stop us now
    We neither beg nor we won't bow
    Neither can be bought nor sold
    We all defend the right
    Jah Jah children must unite
    For life is worth much more than gold

We're jammin', jammin', jammin', jammin'
    And we're jammin' in the name of the Lord
    We're jammin' right straight from yard
    Singing Holy Mount Zion, Holy Mount Zion
    Jah sitteth in Mount Zion and rules all creation
    Yeah, we're jammin', Bop-chu-wa-wa-wa

We're jammin'
    I wanna jam it with you
    And Jamdown hope you're jammin', too
    Jah knows how much I 'ave tried
    The truth cannot hide
    To keep you satisfied
    True love that now exists
    Is the love I can't resist
    So jam by my side
    I wanna jam it with you
    We're jammin', we're jammin', we're jammin', we're jammin'
    We're jammin', we're jammin', we're jammin', we're jammin'
    Hope you like jammin', too."

[1] Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Love_Peace_Concert. 18 June 2013

[2] Supra n1
    See next post
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    WAR: BOB MARLEY: 1978

A search for answers is never an easy task. In fact it can be quite daunting. Several years ago, this chick asked me: “What are you doing with your life?” I replied,” Soul searching,” to which she said, “STILL!” Yes, indeed, I’m still soul searching, still trying to figure out a great many things even today..
    It has taken ne a great many years to fully understand the song WAR by Bob Marley. There are just so many aspects and history to this song that it defies a simple answer.
    I think a good place to start is in 1978 itself. The streets in Jamaica were war ridden and South Africa was under the yoke of apartheid. Marley specifically mentions South Africa in his song WAR!

“ I don’t need to have no ambition, you know! I only have one thing that I would really like to see happen. I’d like to see mankind live together and live in peace, Black, White, Chinese and anyone, that’s all. Nation blood against nation Yeah. Brothers fight against brothers Oh yeah. And all of this, and all of that. You put them together, you don't know what. There is too much trouble, too much trouble. Oh noo. So much trouble in the world. So much trouble in the world
    Why one race want to be rich and the other one poor? Why one want to fight on the other? The youth of today say NO: that cannot work no more!”
    “ I feel that Jamaica is a really nice place and a bad place! A very good place, BUT when you have political violence, when I stand up and I see, the youth fighting against the youth for the politicians, then I really feel sick, you know, because you hungry and you can’t get a job and the people contrary to jobs are politicians and you find the youth fighting against the youth and the youth killing the youth because of the politicians, then me really feel sick in me heart about that.” Bob Marley

“Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned - Me say war. So that is prophecy and everyone know that is truth.”
    “Nation blood against nation Yeah. Brothers fight against brothers Oh yeah. And all of this, and all of that. You put them together, you don't know what. There is too much trouble, too much trouble. Oh noo. So much trouble in the world. So much trouble in the world”

So you have your Holy book and I have mine, nothing wrong there! The ‘Kebra Negast,’ is the Holy Book of the Rastafarians and a great deal of it comprises verses from the Bible. When Marley speaks of ‘Nation blood against Nation,’
    I reconcile this with what JESUS said in my HOLY BOOK the BIBLE: Mark 13:8 “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.”

See next post....
    Last edited by Citizen X; 14-Jul-13 at 01:47 PM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    continued from previous post..

January 10Pedro Joaquín Chamorro Cardenal, a critic of the Nicaraguan government, is assassinated. Riots erupt against Somoza's government
    February 11
    Somalia mobilizes its troops, due to an apparent Ethiopian attack
    February 15
    Rhodesia, one of only two remaining white-ruled African nations, announces that it will accept multiracial democracy within two years.
    March 3
    Ethiopia admits that its troops are fighting with the aid of Cuban soldiers against Somalian troops in the Ogaden.
    Rhodesia attacks Zambia
    March 14Operation Litani: Israeli forces invade Lebanon
    March 18
    Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, Prime Minister of Pakistan, is sentenced to death by hanging for ordering the assassination of a political opponent.
    March 26 – The control tower and some other facilities of New Tokyo International Airport, which was scheduled to open on March 31, are illegally occupied and damaged by terrorist attack by New Left activists, being forced to reschedule its opening date to May 20.
    April 9Somalimilitary officers stage an unsuccessful coup against the government of Siad Barre; security forces thwart the attempt within hours, and several conspirators are arrested.

April 22
    The One Love Peace Concert is held at National Heroes Stadium in Kingston, Jamaica. Bob Marley unites 2 opposing political leaders at this concert, bringing peace to the civil war-ridden streets of the city.
    May 4
    Battle of Cassinga occurs in southern Angola.
    May 12 – In Zaire, rebels occupy the city of Kolwezi, the mining centre of the province of Shaba. The Zairean government asks the U.S., France and Belgium to restore order.
    May 12May 13 – A group of mercenaries led by Bob Denard oust Ali Soilih in the Comoros; 10 local soldiers are killed. Denard forms a new government.
    May 15 – Students of the University of Tehran riot in Tabriz; the army stops the riot.

May 18
    Soviet dissident Yuri Orlov is sentenced to 7 years hard labor for distributing 'counterrevolutionary material'.
    May 18May 19 – Belgian and French paratroopers fly to Zaire to aid the fight against the rebels.
    May 19May 20French Foreign Legionparatroopers land in Kolwezi, Zaire, to rescue Europeans in the middle of a civil war.
    May 25 – A bomb explodes in the security section of Northwestern University, wounding a security guard (the first Unabomber attack).
    June 26 – A bombing by Breton nationalists causes destruction in Palace of Versailles.“[1]
    Closer to home: 29 September – PW Botha succeeds Balthazar Johannes Vorster as 9th Prime Minister of South Africa[2]

In their concert “Babylon by Bus,” Marley sang the song WAR, followed by Too much Trouble and finally to appease everyone , the song “ Is this love!”

See next post...

[1]Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978. Accessed:13 July 2013

[2]Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_in_South_Africa .Accessed13 July 2013
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    WAR

Until the philosophy which hold one race superior
    And another
    Inferior
    Is finally
    And permanently
    Discredited
    And abandoned -
    Everywhere is war -
    Me say war.

That until there no longer
    First class and second class citizens of any nation
    Until the colour of a man's skin
    Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -
    Me say war.

That until the basic human rights
    Are equally guaranteed to all,
    Without regard to race -
    Dis a war.

That until that day
    The dream of lasting peace,
    World citizenship
    Rule of international morality
    Will remain in but a fleeting illusion to be pursued,
    But never attained -
    Now everywhere is war - war.

And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes
    That hold our brothers in Angola,
    In Mozambique,
    South Africa
    Sub-human bondage
    Have been toppled,
    Utterly destroyed -
    Well, everywhere is war -
    Me say war.

War in the east,
    War in the west,
    War up north,
    War down south -
    War - war -
    Rumours of war.
    And until that day,
    The African continent
    Will not know peace,
    We Africans will fight - we find it necessary -
    And we know we shall win
    As we are confident
    In the victory

Of good over evil -
    Good over evil, yeah!
    Good over evil -
    Good over evil, yeah!
    Good over evil -
    Good over evil.”

Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another
    inferior…” I trace this philosophy to Plato, Plato was not this highly moral individual, on the contrary, he endorsed different classes and endorsed slavery. It is beyond me why he is still held in high regard. He was a horrible human being!

I see a world in which an ugly class struggle persists, the upper class, miidle class and lower class.

Even North Korea, believe or not, no longer follow a communist system as communism postulates equality. They now have a class system!

“According to North Korean documents and refugee testimonies, all North Koreans are sorted into groups according to their Songbun, an ascribed status system. Based on their own behavior and the political, social, and economic background of their family for three generations as well as behavior by relatives within that range, Songbun is allegedly used to determine whether an individual is trusted with responsibility, given opportunities, or even receives adequate food.
    Songbun allegedly affects access to educational and employment opportunities and particularly whether a person is eligible to join North Korea's ruling party. There are 3 main classifications and about 50 sub-classifications. According to Kim Il-sung, speaking in 1958, the loyal "core class" constituted 25% of the North Korean population, the "wavering class" 55%, and the "hostile class" 20%. The highest status is accorded to individuals descended from those who participated with Kim Il-sung in the resistance against Japanese occupation during and before World War II and to those who were factory workers, laborers or peasants as of 1950.”[1]

Though illegal, many Indians in India still endorse the repugnant, morally reprehensible caste system!

“The caste system is connected to the Hindu concept of the four varnas, which order and rank humanity by innate spiritual purity. The highest varna is the Brahmins, or priests. Next comes the Kshatriyas, the warriors, and then the Vaishyas, the merchants. The lowest varna is the Shudras, consisting of labourers, artisans and servants who do work that is ritually unclean. Contact between varnas, and particularly the sharing of food and water, must be limited to avoid pollution of higher, purer individuals by lower, more unclean ones.
    As India approached independence from British rule in the early 20th century, the caste system was increasingly criticised as a discriminatory and unjust system of social stratification,especially in regard to the impoverished untouchables. Two great figures of independence, B. R. Ambedkar and Mahatma Gandhi, led major reform movements, although they proposed radically different solutions.The current Indian constitution bans discrimination on the basis of caste and use of the term "untouchable", and the Indian government has instituted affirmative action programs for those who have become known as the Dalits, or "crushed peoples". Individual Dalits have achieved great political and financial success, but as a group they still complain of sometimes violent discrimination. The growth of information-age India has reduced the economic importance of the caste system, but its social and religious aspects remain a significant and sometimes divisive part of Indian life…The injustice of the caste system, and the means of addressing it, has been an active topic of modern Indian discourse, particularly in the last 80 years. In 1933, the seriousness of the issue and its trauma on Indian consciousness, is exemplified by the following message from Ambedkar to Gandhi:….
    The Out-caste is a by-product of the Caste system. There will be outcastes as long as there are castes. Nothing can emancipate the Out-caste except the destruction of the Caste system……

Article 15 of Indian Constitution, as enacted in 1950, prohibits any discrimination based on caste. Article 17 of Indian Constitution declared any practice of untouchability as illegal.In 1955, India enacted the Untouchability (Offenses) Act (renamed in 1976, as the Protection of Civil Rights Act). It extended the reach of law, from intent to mandatory enforcement. The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, similar to the Hate Crime Laws in the United States, was passed in India in 1989.”

“That until there no longer
    First class and second class citizens of any nation…
    Me say war.”

So, I understand why Karl Marx was so strongly against a class struggle and why Bob Marley made it a point to mention it in his song WAR.

His song is based on Haile Selassie’s address to the United Nations Oct 6, 1963

“…When we talk of the equality of man, we find, also, a challenge and an opportunity; a challenge to breathe new life into the ideals enshrined in the Charter, an opportunity to bring men closer to freedom and true equality. and thus, closer to a love of peace.
    The goal of the equality of man which we seek is the antithesis of the exploitation of one people by another with which the pages of history and in particular those written of the African and Asian continents, speak at such length. Exploitation, thus viewed, has many faces. But whatever guise it assumes, this evil is to be shunned where it does not exist and crushed where it does. It is the sacred duty of this Organization to ensure that the dream of equality is finally realized for all men to whom it is still denied, to guarantee that exploitation is not reincarnated in other forms in places whence it has already been banished.
    That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes that hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique and in South Africa in subhuman bondage have been toppled and destroyed; Until bigotry and prejudice and malicious and inhuman self-interest have been replaced by understanding and tolerance and good-will; Until all Africans stand and speak as free beings, equal in the eyes of all men, as they are in the eyes of Heaven; Until that day, the African continent will not know peace. We Africans will fight, if necessary, and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil.
    The United Nations has done much, both directly and indirectly to speed the disappearance of discrimination and oppression from the earth. Without the opportunity to focus world opinion on Africa and Asia which this Organization provides, the goal, for many, might still lie ahead, and the struggle would have taken far longer. For this, we are truly grateful.
    But more can be done. The basis of racial discrimination and colonialism has been economic, and it is with economic weapons that these evils have been and can be overcome……
    I do not believe that Portugal and South Africa are prepared to commit economic or physical suicide if honorable and reasonable alternatives exist. I believe that such alternatives can be found. But I also know that unless peaceful solutions are devised, counsels of moderation and temperance will avail for naught; and another blow will have been dealt to this Organization which will hamper and weaken still further its usefulness in the struggle to ensure the victory of peace and liberty over the forces of strife and oppression. Here, then, is the opportunity presented to us. We must act while we can, while the occasion exists to exert those legitimate pressures available to us, lest time run out and resort be had to less happy means.
    Does this Organization today possess the authority and the will to act?”[2]

I suppose that in 1968 the UN did not have the authority to do anything meaningful!!!

[1] Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea. Accessed 13 July 2013

[2]http://www.nazret.com/history/him_un.php
    Last edited by Citizen X; 14-Jul-13 at 01:51 PM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Real Situation: Bob Marley: 1980

“Check out the real situation:
    Nation war against nation.
    Where did it all begin?
    When will it end?
    Well, it seems like: total destruction the only solution,
    And there ain't no use: no one can stop them now.
    Ain't no use: nobody can stop them now.

Give them an inch, they take a yard;
    Give them a yard, they take a mile (ooh);
    Once a man and twice a child
    And everything is just for a while.
    It seems like: total destruction the only solution,
    And there ain't no use: no one can stop them now.
    There ain't no use: no one can stop them now;
    Ain't no use: no one can stop them now;
    There ain't no use: no one can stop them now.

Check in the real situation (check it out, check it out):
    Nation fight against nation
    Where did it all begin? Wo-oo-o-o-oh!
    Where will it end?
    Well, it seems like: total destruction the only solution.
    Mmm, no use: can't stop them;
    W'ain't no use: ya can't stop them;
    Ain't no use: no one can't stop them now;
    Can't stop them now (no one can't stop them now).

There ain't no use: no one can't stop them now.
    Everybody strugglin': ain't no use - ain't no use -
    Ain't no use you even try;
    Ain't no use: got to say 'bye-'bye!
    Ain't no use! Ain't no - ain't no use: no one can stop them now.”

Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Them belly full, BUT, we hungry: Bob Marley: 1974

Them belly full, but we hungry;
    A hungry mob is a angry mob
    A rain a-fall, but the dirt it tough;
    A yot a-yook, but d' yood no 'nough.

You're gonna dance to Jah music, dance;
    We're gonna dance to Jah music, dance, oh-ooh!

Forget your troubles and dance!
    Forget your sorrows and dance!
    Forget your sickness and dance!
    Forget your weakness and dance!

Cost of livin' gets so high,
    Rich and poor they start to cry:
    Now the weak must get strong;
    They say, "Oh, what a tribulation!"
    Them belly full, but we hungry;
    A hungry mob is a angry mob.
    A pot a-yook, but d' yood* no 'nough.

We're gonna chuck to Jah music - chuckin';
    We're chuckin' to Jah music - we're chuckin'.

A belly full, but them hungry;
    A hungry mob is a angry mob.
    A pot a-cook, but d' food* no 'nough.
    A hungry man is a angry man;
    A pot a-yook, but you no 'nough'
    A rain a-fall, but the dirt it tough.
    A pot a-cook, but you no 'nough;
    A hungry mob is a angry mob;
    A hungry mob is a angry mob.”
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks

Such a beautiful song in such an ugly world, I get goose bumps when I hear it.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

8. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (14-Jul-13), Citizen X (14-Jul-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post

Such a beautiful song in such an ugly world, I get goose bumps when I hear it.
    Louis Armstrong: What a wonderful world: 1967
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Louis_Armstrong_What_a_Wonderful_World.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	3683
    “I see trees of green........ red roses too
    I see ’em bloom..... for me and for you
    And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue..... clouds of white
    Bright blessed days....dark sacred nights
    And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world.

The colours of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
    Are also on the faces.....of people ..going by
    I see friends shaking hands.....sayin’.. how do you do
    They’re really sayin’......i love you.

I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow
    They’ll learn much more.....than I’ll never know
    And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world

The colours of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
    Are there on the faces.....of people ..going by
    I see friends shaking hands.....sayin’.. how do you do
    They’re really sayin’...*spoken*(I ....love....you).

I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow
    *spoken*(you know they gonna learn
    A whole lot more than I’ll never know)
    And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world
    Yes I think to myself .......what a wonderful world.”

Album cover[1]

[1] Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_a_Wonderful_World. Accessed 14 July 2013
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Fools rush in, UB40

Wise men say, only fools rush in
    But I can't help falling in love with you..

Wise men say, only fools rush in
    But I can't help falling in love with you..

Shall I stay
    Would it be a sin
    Cause' I can't help falling in love with you...

As the river flows, Gently to the sea
    Darlin so we go, somethings were meant to be..
    Take my hand, take my whole life too
    Cause' I can't help fallin in love with you...

As the river flows, Gently to the sea
    Darlin so we know, somethings were meant to be
    Take my hand, take my whole life too
    Cause' I can't help fallin in love with you...

I can't help...falling in love with you
    I can't help...falling in love with you
    I can't help...falling in love with you...
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Reflections: The Supremes: 1967

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reflections_Supremes.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	3685

“Through the mirror of my mind
    Time after time
    I see reflections of you and me

Reflections of
    The way life used to be
    Reflections of
    The love you took from me

Oh, I'm all alone now
    No love to shield me
    Trapped in a world
    That's a distorted reality

Happiness you took from me
    And left me alone
    With only memories

Through the mirror of my mind
    Through these tears that I'm crying
    Reflects a hurt I can't control
    'Cause although you're gone
    I keep holding on
    To the happy times
    Oh, when you were mine

As I peer through the window
    Of lost time
    Looking over my yesterdays
    And all the love I gave all in vain
    (All the love) All the love
    That I've wasted
    (All the tears) All the tears
    That I've tasted
    All in vain

Through the hollow of my tears
    I see a dream that's lost
    From the hurt
    That you have caused

Everywhere I turn
    Seems like everything I see
    Reflects the love that used to be

In you I put
    All my faith and trust
    Right before my eyes
    My world has turned to dust

After all the nights
    I sat alone and wept
    Just a handful of promises
    Are all that's left of loving you

Reflections of
    The way life used to be
    Reflections of
    The love you took from me

In you I put
    All my faith and trust
    Right before my eyes
    My world has turned to dust.”

Album cover[1]

[1] Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflections_(The_Supremes_song). Accessed 14 July 2013
    Click here
    sabbaticus