Poll: Old School Music is cool

Page 148 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1753

Thread: Old school music is cool!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    Andy, needless to say, you are a well traveled man. All your travels clearly made lots of priceless memories for you.
    Nothing like a song to bring a place you once visited back to life. Music is a time machine of sorts. This is the ultimate exercise of this thread.

This thread has really given me the opportunity to revisit the days of my youth, places that I’ve been to and relationships that I had.

Many of the songs that I have posted here, featured in my life between 1992 and 1997. These were phenomenal years for me.
    That said, even as a kid, I loved the old school tunes and made a habit of playing my favourite vinyl lp whenever I needed some quality escapism...
    I think that travelling certainly had a big effect on the actual music I was exposed to and came to appreciate, it probably went a long way in my developing a very catholic (adjective with a small 'c') taste in music but I don't think it made a difference to how big a part of my life it was and how defining and personal it's always been to me.

From a very early age I loved music, I have very early memories of wanting to visit a particular Auntie because she had a record player and a large box of records which would keep me occupied on my own for hours at a time.

Spending a good portion of my youth in the UK, when I was at primary school I would go to bed with my radio hidden and listen avidly to shows like John Peel and I was lucky to learn to listen and appreciate music I wasn't familiar with and music I didn't know the tune or the lyrics to. As I got older I watched TV shows like the Old Grey Whistle Test and The Tube and I started buying at least a record every month. Every weekend a group of us would randomly pick a live music venue and we'd just go watch whatever band was playing. These venues were very personal, there would be a crowd of 1 or 2 hundred people and we'd usually drink with the performers and actually talk to them before and after the show.

I do wonder if music will ever or could ever mean the same to todays youth. Music consumption in all forms was an event, even buying a record had at least three days planning and probably a week or two saving money and deciding which record it would be. It was a bus ride to town with a few friends who'd just come along to spectate and share in the moment, a whole morning in numerous seedy basement record shops and lengthy last minute discussions with the gurus that worked there and finally an hour on the bus home again to spend the afternoon playing it, listening to it, discussing the various tracks and lyrics and guitar riffs. Nowadays it's a WI-FI connection and a visit to youtube or MP3skull and in less than a minute there's an untangible, disposable file on a memory stick. For me it was about seeing a band progress from the pub scene through larger live venues and onto the organised tours and sometimes finally go and see the same guys that you knew personally after talking and drinking with them play to a crowd of 80 thousand at Wembly or Nebworth or Glastonbury. Some of the artists I've seen live to start with as crowd of under 200 people and finally with a crowd of over 50K would include Lenny Kravitz, New Order, U2, The Smiths, The Cult, The Clash, ZZ-Top the list is long and the memories are many.

I just read the post and got a reality check, I'm sounding old. I'm bemoaning progress and getting into 'kids of today' rants which isn't good so here's my old school cool nomination.

1987 (I think) on a random Friday evening in a Manchester venue called 'The International 2" there were 2 American acts playing which was quite unusual. The first was a very Rubinesque black lady who's name I cannot remember, she had a great Blues/Gospel voice and sung her heart out to a mixed but very quiet and appreciative crowd of about 100 people. The next act was an equally unknown American rock singer/guitarist who was a kinda rasta looking dude with a half unbuttoned shirt and some kind of Bee Gee's looking gold thing that swung across his exposed chest. He incidentally released an album later the same year called 'Let Love Rule'. He played about an hour or so and the place went wild, 3 encores later we spent the rest of the night buying him and the Blues Singer Lady drinks.

Here's one of the songs he played in the main set and again as an encore. It's an uncomplicated protest song, sweet and to the point.

Lenny Kravitz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq6rEPBN7aA

"Mr. Cab Driver"

Mr Cab Driver won't you stop to let me in
    Mr Cab Driver don't like my kind of skin
    Mr Cab Driver you're never gonna win
    Mr Cab Driver won't you stop to pick me up
    Mr Cab Driver I might need some help
    Mr Cab Driver only thinks about himself
    Here we go

Mr Cab Driver, Mr Cab Driver

Mr Cab Driver don't like the way I look
    He don't like dreads he thinks we're all crooks
    Mr Cab Driver reads too many story books
    Mr Cab Driver pass me up with eyes of fire
    Mr Cab Driver thinks we're all one sixty five'ers
    Mr Cab Driver fuck you I'm a survivor
    Oh yeah, one more time, ahah

Let me in

2. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (21-Jan-15), Citizen X (20-Jan-15), Dave A (20-Jan-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Music consumption in all forms was an event, even buying a record had at least three days planning and probably a week or two saving money and deciding which record it would be. It was a bus ride to town with a few friends who'd just come along to spectate and share in the moment, a whole morning in numerous seedy basement record shops and lengthy last minute discussions with the gurus that worked there and finally an hour on the bus home again to spend the afternoon playing it, listening to it, discussing the various tracks and lyrics and guitar riffs.
    That sent shivers down my spine - exactly the way it was

4. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (20-Jan-15)

Thanks
    Nostalgia?Definitely!

When it comes to technology, everyone simply has to get with the program, as we live in a technologically driven world.

Technology, however, does take the interaction aspect of a person and a device away. For instance, with the ‘turntable,’ or vinyl player, one had to first select the LP from a range of Lp’s. The album covers of that day, are works of art.

It was hardly surprising that music could be presented in such an exquisite manner. This was due to the fact that exquisite presentation of a LP to the fan was a world-wide norm. I certainly expected nothing less. I deeply regret having lost boxes of lp’s whilst moving home in 1997.

I can vividly recall playing the LP ‘Confrontation,’ though there was only one Lp, this album had a double cover. Upon opening the cover, just as one would do a book, there appears further art with an actual historical event depicted. This was absolutely mesmerizing!

The interaction is still not complete. The lp had to be carefully removed from it’s sleeve, I can almost hear and feel that sensation of removing a lp from it’s inner plastic cover. The lp would be cleaned, the ‘turntable,’ switched on, the needle inspected and then you got your music high

I've come to realize that many youngsters, of this generation, just don't seem to appreciate the actual lyrics of a song. It appears that many are just into the sound of loud bass, not even knowing where the concept of bass originated.
    Last edited by Citizen X; 20-Jan-15 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrel: Ain’t no mountain high enough:1970:Album-Marvin Gaye and Tammi Tarrel’s greatest hits: Lyrics and Video

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marvintammigreatest.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	5308

“Listen, baby,
    ain't no mountain high
    Ain't no valley low,
    ain't no river wide enough, baby
    If you need me, call me,
    no matter where you are
    No matter how far,
    don't worry, baby
    Just call my name, I'll be there in a hurry
    You don't have to worry
    'Cause baby, there ain't no mountain high enough
    Ain't no valley low enough,
    ain't no river wide enough
    To keep me from getting to you, baby
    Remember the day I set you free
    I told you, you could always count on me, darling
    And from that day on I made a vow
    I'll be there when you want me some way, some how
    'Cause baby, there ain't no mountain high enough
    Oh no darling,
    no wind, no rain
    No winters cold can stop me baby
    No, no baby,
    'cause you are my love
    If you ever in trouble, I'll be there on the double
    Just send for me, oh baby
    My love is alive
    way down in my heart
    Although we are miles apart
    If you ever need a helping hand
    I'll be there on the double just as fast as I can
    Don't you know that there ain't no mountain high enough
    Don't you know that there
    ain't no mountain high enough
    Ain't no mountain high enough,
    ain't no valley low enough.”

Album cover[1]
    Video source[2]

[1]Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_..._Greatest_Hits. Accessed 20 January 2015

[2]Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg. Accessed 20 January 2015
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    Nostalgia?Definitely!

When it comes to technology, everyone simply has to get with the program, as we live in a technologically driven world.

Technology, however, does take the interaction aspect of a person and a device away. For instance, with the ‘turntable,’ or vinyl player, one had to first select the LP from a range of Lp’s. The album covers of that day, are works of art.

It was hardly surprising that music could be presented in such an exquisite manner. This was due to the fact that exquisite presentation of a LP to the fan was a world-wide norm. I certainly expected nothing less. I deeply regret having lost boxes of lp’s whilst moving home in 1997.

I can vividly recall playing the LP ‘Confrontation,’ though there was only one Lp, this album had a double cover. Upon opening the cover, just as one would do a book, there appears further art with an actual historical event depicted. This was absolutely mesmerizing!

The interaction is still not complete. The lp had to be carefully removed from it’s sleeve, I can almost hear and feel that sensation of removing a lp from it’s inner plastic cover. The lp would be cleaned, the ‘turntable,’ switched on, the needle inspected and then you got your music high

I've come to realize that many youngsters, of this generation, just don't seem to appreciate the actual lyrics of a song. It appears that many are just into the sound of loud bass, not even knowing where the concept of bass originated.
    I agree with you. It is good to see that LP's are making a massive comeback. Most of the local music stores around here have started selling LP's again.

I collect live concert DVD's. Seeing the performances adds another dimension for me, and the surround sound is pretty good.

8. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (21-Jan-15), Citizen X (21-Jan-15)

Thanks
    Babara Mandrell:I was country when country wasn’t cool:1981:Album-Babara Mandrel Live:Lyrics and Video

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barbara_Mandrell-Live.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	5311

I was reggae when reggae wasn’t cool

Country music is about telling a story in a very poetic manner. I loved country music as a kid. I derived my love for ‘Levi,’ jeans and cowboy hats from country music.
    Being different can be demonstrated by the music that one listens to. I have fond memories of the ‘drive in.’

“I was Country, when Country wasn’t cool
    I was Country, from my hat down to my boots
    I still act, and look the same what you see ain't nothing' new
    I was Country, when Country wasn't cool.”

“I remember wearing' straight leg Levis and flannel shirts, even when they weren't in style
    I remember singing' with Roy Rogers at the movies, when the West was really wild
    And I was listening' to the Opry when all of my friends were digging'
    Rock 'n Roll and Rhythm & Blues
    I was Country, when Country wasn't cool"

I remember circling' the drive-in pulling' up and turning' down George Jones
    I remember when no one was looking' I was putting' peanuts in my Coke
    I took a lot of kidding', 'cause I never did fit in now look at everybody trying' to be what I was then
    I was Country, when Country wasn't cool

I was Country, when Country wasn’t cool

They call us "country bumpkins", for sticking' to our roots
    I'm just glad we're in a country, where we're all free to choose

I was Country, when Country wasn’t cool

Yeah, I was Country when Country wasn't cool.”

Album cover[1]
    Video source[2]

[1] Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Mandrell_Live. Accessed 21 January 2015

[2] Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN50ZU6jVwM. Accessed 21 January 2015
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    The Highway Men:Highway man:1985:Album-Highwayman:Lyrics and Video

Name:  220px-Highwaymanalbum.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  10.8 KB

[Nelson:]
    I was a highwayman. Along the coach roads I did ride.
    With sword and pistol by my side.
    Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade.
    Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade.
    The bastards hung me in the spring of twenty-five.
    But I am still alive.

[Kristofferson:]
    I was a sailor. I was born upon the tide.
    And with the sea I did abide.
    I sailed a schooner round the Horn to Mexico.
    I went aloft and furled the mainsail in a blow.
    And when the yards broke off they said that I got killed.
    But I am living still.

[Cash:]
    I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide.
    Where steel and water did collide.
    A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado.
    I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below.
    They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound.
    But I am still around.
    I'll always be around, and around, and around, and around, and around.

[Jennings:]
    I fly a starship across the Universe divide.
    And when I reach the other side,
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can.
    Perhaps I may become a highwayman again.
    Or I may simply be a single drop of rain.
    But I will remain.
    And I'll be back again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

Album cover[1]
    Video source[2]

[1] Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway...um%29.Accessed 21 January 2015

[2] Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkcAH-m9W0. Accessed 21 January 2015
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The original Fleetwood Mac nurtured my love for Blues music. Peter Green was a master of the guitar (listen to Gary Moore's Blues for Greeny) and numbers like this one, Man of the World and Black magic woman became all time classics. Sit back, enjoy with a cold one.

Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

12. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (21-Jan-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Guys, you are giving me cold shivers. Andy, you could have been a poet!

I was most fortunate to have grown up in the Swinging Sixties and the Stupid Seventies when music turned to disco and bands were, um, banned. Sort of.
    I guess that makes me a toppie, but that's just my body. I am still 16 after all those years!

The sixties was the pioneering years of pop and rock with new fads trends and fashions almost every week. The invention of the mini skirt and bikini. Free sex and Woodstock.
    Live bands was my scene and I dreamt of being a rock star. When I passed an audition and joined my first band at 15 I was over the moon. I must have been the worst drummer ever, but eventually learnt to play the guitar after doing my National Service, playing the clarinet in a military band. After that I again formed a rock band, but then as a guitarist and lead singer.

I was a regular at the record shops and was fortunate to have a girlfriend who worked part-time at one. She always kept me up to date with the latest, including imported albums. Crammed into the cubicles with all ten of your friends to listen to the latest hit was cool. At school we talked music and memorised the words of the songs. Have you heard this...? Have you seen that band? etc etc.
    Vinyl was special. You had to treat it with care and never loaned it to anyone for fear of scratches. The album covers were works of art and many became collector's items. I still have my vinyl collection and some of them have only been played once or twice. I used to immediately tape the best numbers on the record and then put it away. Some of those classic albums are still in mint condition. A while back I sold Astra by the South African band Freedom's Children for $150. (yes dollars!) Freedom's could have been more famous than the Rolling Stones had it not been for apartheid. You can listen to the album in some of the earlier posts.

The one in the middle... Manfred Mann was an ex South African.

14. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (21-Jan-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Some of the best lead guitar you'll ever hear. Unfortunately the Peter Green story is a sad one. Check it out on Youtube. DON'T do drugs!

16. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (21-Jan-15)