Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Land Reform in South Africa: Unpacking a very contentious issue

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Vanesh, you are the expert, give us the lyrics to the song by Bob Marley where he states that 'Peace has come to Zimbabwe' and we can all reflect on his wisdom and wonder what kind of peace has in fact come to Zimbabwe.
    A very good evening to you Wynn!
    To divide and rule could only tear us apart;
    In everyman chest, mm - there beats a heart.
    So soon we'll find out who is the real revolutionaries;
    And I don't want my people to be tricked by mercenaries”

I’m indeed an expert in two significant aspects:1: Foolishness and 2: Human weakness. Since I have mastered these two areas by demonstrating compelling foolishness and profound weakness throughout my life I demand that every University in our world grant me 2 honorary doctorates: Doctorate: Foolishness and Doctorate: Weakness.
    I’ve often stated that reggae music is timeless and universal in that it can be used as a source of comfort or inspiration by any person or group of people who find themselves oppressed or subjugated at any given point of time. Since, I’m very familiar with the life and music of Bob Marley, I can safely say that he would not have approved of what Mugabe done and what he is currently doing. The generally accepted wisdom(which is not wisdom at all but an acceptable public relations statement) is, “Was land reform in Zimbabwe necessary? Yes! Was it done in the correct manner? No! This argument is fatally flawed!! Marley, just like Karl Marx was never against any particular race as he was aware of how due to politics Black people were killing Black people in the name of a political party. He wrote many songs to this effect. Just like Karl Marx, Marley was against a class struggle. He was not against people on the mere basis of their race. He was for peace. He demonstrated this very clearly in his ‘Babylon by bus concert,’ He sings the song ‘war,’ then the song, ‘too much trouble, ‘ and ends with ‘Is this love.’ He had a message of love, peace and respect for human rightsSo regardless of what your race is, if you are oppressing, subjugating or instilling fear in other human beings then Marley would never have approved of you. He was for human beings and humanitarian causes. Bob Marley’s father was White and his mother Black! It was for this reason that he said the following in one of his interviews, “Them call me half cast, I don’t live on the White man’s side, I don’t live on the Black man’s side, I live on God’s side, cause he cause me to come from Black and White. I don’t care who the guy is, cause my life is my life!” It was a mere quirk of history that at that particular time, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Angola were under oppressive regimes
    1. Zimbabwe the song: This is one of my favorite Marley songs and ignites pleasant memories of growing up in the 80’s. The song is from Marley’s album ‘Survival,’ which was released in 1979. I never really bought Marley’s albums in the order that they were released. In 1987, I bought the album ‘Survival,’ from Kohinoor music store in down town Johannesburg;
    2. It’s noteworthy that the album cover of ‘Survival,’ has many different flags. The album itself had a few purposes, due to the political situation in Jamaica of that day, an attempt was made on Marley’s life, hence the title survival and a song entitled ‘ambush in the night,’
    3. The song ‘Zimbabwe,’ will always remain a heart wrenching one for me, because it exposes a realization, an awakening if you will to something you once believed was not necessary and not even possible. I reason that after much protracted debate with himself Marley came to the following conclusion(my own words, slightly amended from actual words of his song, just to demonstrate how such a realization can weigh very heavily on a man’s heart and mind: ‘ I didn’t believe it, but I now realize that you are right! Unfortunately, my brother, you so right, we’ll have to fight, fight for our rights and our life!”Mugabe has demonstrated by virtue of his various conduct that he don’t care if you black or white, if you anti mugabe he’s going to deal with you!

“Every man got a right to decide his own destiny
    An' in this judgement there is no partiality
    So arms in arms, with arms we fight this little struggle
    'Cause that's the only way we can, overcome a little trouble

But Brother you're right!, you're right
    You're right, you're right, you're so right
    We goin' fight (we goin fight), we'll have to fight (we goin fight)
    We gonna fight! (we goin' fight)! fight for our rights

Natty Dread it in-a (Zimbabwe);
    Set it up in (Zimbabwe);
    Mash it up-a in-a Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe);
    Africans a-liberate (Zimbabwe), yeah.

No more internal power struggle;
    We come together to overcome a little trouble.
    Soon we'll find out who is the real revolutionary,
    'Cause I don't want my people to be contrary.

And, brother, you're right, you're right,
    You're right, you're right, you're so right!
    We'll 'ave to fight (we gon' fight), we gonna fight (we gon' fight)
    We'll 'ave to fight (we gon' fight), fighting for our rights!

To divide and rule could only tear us apart;
    In everyman chest, mm - there beats a heart.
    So soon we'll find out who is the real revolutionaries;
    And I don't want my people to be tricked by mercenaries

Brother, you're right, you're right,
    You're right, you're right, you're so right!"

“Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

2. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (06-Jul-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    When I look at our politicians I can’t help but notice they living beyond extravagance. Luxury cars, mansions, the most expensive hotels and restaurants, designer suits and jewelry and this in a country where so many millions are marginalized
    I couldn't help but notice the moment Juju hit his problems and had to go back to the people to try to rally for his cause, that Breitling watch so prominently and regularly flaunted had disappeared.

So who has been researching buying a BMW in the last 12 months?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmw-sa-last12months.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	2688

Whether that's where the big bucks are being made, or it's where you feel the need to keep up with the Jones's (or Gumede's, Zuma's et al), let's admit that's not the order you'd expect.

Thanks
    A very good morning to you Dave,
    It's noteworthy that the pettiest of reasons caused the French people at the time of the French revolution to become furious! It was a class struggle not a racial one. Just for simplicity, I’ll dispense with the exhaustive classifications of the classes at that time and simply say there were peasants and there were bourgeosie. The peasants were living in abject poverty and misery and the bourgeoisie were living extravagant lives. The peasants realised that the taxes that they paid, which they could not even afford to pay, was used to support this extravagant and gluttonous lifestyle of the bourgeosie. The sentiment we as South Africans expressed to etolling was similar to the sentiment expressed by the French peasantry. The were very angry that in the midst of poverty, the elite could still lead such extravagant lifestyles. As far as I’m concerned the entire ANC leadership is the bourgeoisie. It’s apparent that their primary motivation in life is money and more money and living like the King and Queen of the French revolution when so many millions of South Africans(all races) are either unemployed, living in an informal settlement have a job that pays you peanuts and generally feeling the burden of even the tax they currently pay.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    And then there's the matter of your new plane and one for the deputy just to make sure you have his support. Funny how the most humble person can become the most assuming egoist as soon as they get to a position of power.

The PM of Great Britain flies British Airways. Not business class, but cattle class! Our president thinks he is so important that he needs his own plane at a cost exceeding R2 BILLION. This while people in our country are literally dying of hunger!

The President of Malawi has set an example to African leaders; she has sold the presidential jet to help her people. African leaders have learnt nothing from what has happened in Libya, Algeria, Egypt and what is currently happening in Syria. The people are getting Gatvol and unless you listen now, we can be in for a hard ride...
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    I have a theory! This applies to Mugabe. I’m pretty sure he’s a glutton at the table and is lavishly served in some presidential dinning hall which is lavishly decorated. Now, since, the English dictionary now has new words are as gone ‘viral,’ I wonder if any of Mugabe’s dinner mates can please video him eating and upload to youtube?
    I’m pretty sure that when his people see his gluttonous behavior with that lobster, roast lamb and prawns, they will immediately march on his presidential home! It was a petty thing such as what the King and Queen and elite of France were eating that infuriated the peasants of France during the French revolution!
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Ownership by way of prescription!
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Just a thought..a way around land reform,!!!!

Ownership by way of prescription! As at today’s date the only other legitimate way to become onwer’s of land is by prescription, to have occupation of that land for an uninterrupted period of 30 years.
    I know it’s crazy, but let’s assume that I am the owner of farm land. Let’s further assume that I have the title deeds. I own it, BUT I concerned that, Mugabe, through Malema is actually having a say in my Country that I was born in, then I’ll do the crazy thing and I won’t tell anyone about it, I will confirm to affidavit that I claim: - That in terms of section 1 of the Prescription Act 68 of 1969, I hereby claim Acquisitive prescription of plot xxxxxx, as I have had uninterrupted occupation of this piece of land for more than 30 years!!!!(Why on earth will I want to claim acquisitive prescription for land that I already own????JUST IN CASE!!!! AND, No body will know That I confirmed this to affidavit!!!)I will include in my affidavit that section 1 states:-

“Subject to the provisions of this Chapter and of Chapter IV, a person shall by prescription
    become the owner of a thing which he has possessed openly and as if he were the owner thereof
    for an uninterrupted period of thirty years or for a period which, together with any periods for
    which such thing was so possessed by his predecessors in title, constitutes an uninterrupted
    period of thirty years.”
    The bad Guy: Cavera Q: “ How much men do you have to protect your land????”
    The Good Guy: Chris A” “ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!”

The bad guys: The land invaders represented by
    Calvera
    and company

VERSES
    The Good Guys, the farmers ,The United nations Security Council and the International Criminal Court represented by Chris and company

Calvera:“We want your land and your crops.If God did not want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep. So, how many of you did they hire?
    Chris: Enough!
    Calvera: I see you built some new walls!

Chris:There are lots of new walls. All around.
    Calvera: They won´t keep me out!
    Chris: They were built to keep you in not to keep you out!
    Calvera: Did you hear that? We´re trapped! All forty of us! By these three.Or is it four? They couldn´t afford to hire more than that.
    Harry: We come cheaper by the dozen!
    Calvera: Five! Even five won´t give us too much trouble!
    Chris: There won't be any trouble... if you ride on.Calvera: Ride on? Where am I going to get the food and land for my men?Chico: Buy it or grow it!O'Reilly: Or maybe even work for it.Calvera: Hm, seven. Somehow I don't think you've solved my problem.Chris: Solving your problems isn't our line.Vin: We deal in lead, friend.Calvera: So do I. We're in the same business.Vin: Only as competitors.Calvera: Why not as partners? Suppose I offer you equal shares.Chris: Of what?Calvera: Everything. Down to the last grain.Chico: And the people of the village? What about them?Calvera: I leave it to you. Do men of our profession worry about things like that? It may even be sacrilegious! If God didn't want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep. What do you say?Chris: Ride on.Calvera: If I leave here with empty hands, everyone in this village will answer to me when I come back.Chris: You won't come back!Calvera: Why not?Chris: You won't have any guns. Take them off right now and drop them
    Cavera:Generosity. That was my first mistake!l leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble.
    Chris: lt shows you: sooner or later,you must answer for every good deed.Shoot out ensues!!!!!!

The good guys(The farmers, the United nations Security Council and the International Criminal Court represented by Chris and company) defeat the land invaders.....
    Last edited by Citizen X; 18-Oct-12 at 12:23 PM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234