Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notification of potential a danger

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Notification of potential a danger

Email to - muni@elec.wonderland.gov.za

Notification of a potential danger

To: The electricity supplier

During an inspection in terms of SANS 10142-1, the wiring of premises - Part 1
    Low voltage installations, performed at address:

101 Soap city
    happy place

Owner contact details ... 067 10810 001

I, James Bond, Registration no. 007

found the following potential danger :

Loop impedance test result - 12.5 ohms (L-E)

Type of supply TN-S

Date: 2/2/2022

Contact number : 012 555 6789

Hand the COC to the property owner ... and walk away.

Now it is up to the electricity department to sort out the issue ... but is it that simple.

The big question ... how do you issue a COC indicating the property is reasonably safe ... if you have just emailed the electricity supplier informing them of a potential danger?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just a thought, I have never issued a COC and do not have the qualifications to issue one.

You were called to do a COC, you spent the time gathering the information via inspection, in your opinion the site can not be issued with a COC, so the customer does not want to pay you for your time because you have not issued a COC.
    I stand to be corrected here, but, can you not issue the COC, enter all the amounts measured and calculated, and under the remarks state that the COC has failed, and list the items that are the reason for the failure. Provide the COC to the client get paid and every one is happy.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    That is what we generally do ... fill out the document and add a note ... however the installation is regarded as a potential danger if the loop impedance test result is high ... how can you issue a certificate of compliance if the installation is not safe ?

Do we issue the COC if the reading is within certain limits for example if the reading is 10 ohms ... but if it is 1000 ohms ... then you hold back the COC ?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I have seen a CoC where a fault report was made and then in section 3 it stated that the premises is a pass and generally safe with the exclusion of the fault report... now that is a massive loop hole if I ever seen one... I feel it was done so they could get paid and still try CYA....

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    That is what we generally do ... fill out the document and add a note ... however the installation is regarded as a potential danger if the loop impedance test result is high ... how can you issue a certificate of compliance if the installation is not safe ?

Do we issue the COC if the reading is within certain limits for example if the reading is 10 ohms ... but if it is 1000 ohms ... then you hold back the COC ?
    Ians with that we had it once and then the boss at the time said look the actual premises is safe and we did a long lead to test the earth from MP to DB and that was solid so then he passed it saying the actual installtion is fine but the Eskom side is not and that they need to notify etc.

Basically the car is road worthy but the road is full of potholes so the car (house) is safe but the road (supply)is not and there is nothing you can do to fix road

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    WOW ... thats all I can say ... not too many things impress me lately.

I emailed the notification ... within a couple of minutes an email was returned notifying me that the email address had changed and my email was forwarded to the correct email address.

A couple minutes later ... the customer received an SMS notifying him of the fault reported and that it would be attended to within 48 hours.

Within 48 hours a trucked pulled up outside the customers property ... a women stepped out with a duspol tester and a loop impedance tester ... she opened the meter box took a reading confirmed there was a problem ... did a few tests on the cabling at the top of the pole ... cut and connected a a couple wires ... did another test ... gave me the thumbs up ... I tested at the meter ... 0.6 ohms ... she then got down the ladder ... went to the meter box ... did a few tests and acknowledged problem solved.

If I was still doing streetlighting/line work for the council ... I would have offered her a job before she left site.

Well done ... I am going to send an email to her boss.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (26-Jan-22)

Thanks
    WOW ... thats all I can say ... not too many things impress me lately.

I emailed the notification ... within a couple of minutes an email was returned notifying me that the email address had changed and my email was forwarded to the correct email address.

A couple minutes later ... the customer received an SMS notifying him of the fault reported and that it would be attended to within 48 hours.

Within 48 hours a trucked pulled up outside the customers property ... a women stepped out with a duspol tester and a loop impedance tester ... she opened the meter box took a reading confirmed there was a problem ... did a few tests on the cabling at the top of the pole ... cut and connected a a couple wires ... did another test ... gave me the thumbs up ... I tested at the meter ... 0.6 ohms ... she then got down the ladder ... went to the meter box ... did a few tests and acknowledged problem solved.

If I was still doing streetlighting/line work for the council ... I would have offered her a job before she left site.

Well done ... I am going to send an email to her boss.
    Here in our valley there's a lady called Kathryn who works for the Munic.
    Whenever we need the Munic's assistance and Kathryn responds, I am a happy chappie.
    Not only because she's a woman but because of her efficiency and expertise. Beats most of her male counterparts by a mile.

Peace out .. Derek Stuart.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...I, James Bond, Registration no. 007

found the following potential danger :

Loop impedance test result - 12.5 ohms (L-E)

Type of supply TN-S

Hand the COC to the property owner ... and walk away.

Now it is up to the electricity department to sort out the issue ... but is it that simple.

The big question ... how do you issue a COC indicating the property is reasonably safe ... if you have just emailed the electricity supplier informing them of a potential danger?
    As I understand it (based on a couple of enquires to ECA SA over the years), the COC must not be issued while the earth loop impedance is out of permissible range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    Ians with that we had it once and then the boss at the time said look the actual premises is safe and we did a long lead to test the earth from MP to DB and that was solid so then he passed it saying the actual installtion is fine but the Eskom side is not and that they need to notify etc.

Basically the car is road worthy but the road is full of potholes so the car (house) is safe but the road (supply)is not and there is nothing you can do to fix road
    The above post did get me rereading 9.3 of the Electrical Installation Regulations though:

If at any time prior to the issuing of a certificate of compliance any fault or defect is detected in any part of the electrical installation, the registered person shall refuse to issue such certificate until that fault or defect has been rectified:
    I suggest that while the fault is outside of the electrical installation (being in the supply), it is detectable from within the electrical installation.

Not so much a comparison between car condition and that of the road and more like car condition and the condition of the fuel.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ah yes good point with being detected within the premises... so then I make you right as the car and fuel... intresting point.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    the solution seems simple ... if the supplier doent respond to your request and the COC is required just bridge the neutral and earth at the meter ... the only difference is the council bridge it on the pole or in the CDU. making it simple for them to remove once they attend to the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast