Thread: How to wire a circuit breaker

Platinum Member
    Thanks

How to wire a circuit breaker

It's 2024, CBI no longer dominates the small circuit breaker industry (they have priced themselves out the market), we no longer bother with SABS standards, and so long as the product has some form of certification done in any small lab around its good to go.

So the question now, when are we going to start wiring the breaker correctly ?

If you think in the top and out the bottom, well best you look closely at the breaker.

Hager, ABB and other decent quality products used around the world are designed to be wired in the line in the bottom and load out he top.

After 40 years working in this industry I cannot for the life of me understand why we still wire the breaker in the top and out the bottom.

IF the equipment has line and load, then you have to wire accordingly.

I do understand that the electrical industry has become the laughing stock of all trades and we are winning the race to the bottom hands down, could that be why we wouldn't be able to change.

Watching a team dropped of on one the sites where I am also busy working, had me shaking my head, they messed up like most of them do, installing round boxes which are not IP rated and no they didn't use silicon to seal the cover, forgot to install pipes in the concrete slab, and more.

I suppose trying to introduce a simple thing like wiring a circuit breaker the right way, would just confuse the crap out of the unqualified, unskilled team members
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Applying silicone sealer to a round box cover does not give it an IP rating, nor does it make it weatherproof.

Fact of the matter is that one should use weatherproof enclosures and accessories outside, where they are exposed to the weather.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    You should only use the screw holes specifically designed for securing the IP rated box.

Drilling an IP rated box full of holes to secure it then applying silicon make it no longer IP rated.

In reality, silicon is the solution to IP rating anything, I would suggest using marine or windscreen silicon, they transform any equipment into an IP 68 rating

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Applying silicone sealer to a round box cover does not give it an IP rating, nor does it make it weatherproof.

Fact of the matter is that one should use weatherproof enclosures and accessories outside, where they are exposed to the weather.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.