Thread: Hellerman tyton flexible conduit

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Hellerman tyton flexible conduit

I use a lot of this stuff ... just finished a deck ready for concrete ... was battling with the flexible conduit breaking off at the couplings.

So I contacted hellerman directly and chatted to someone about this issue ... it turns out that there are 2 types of flexble conduit:

white - V25HT2605 better than the soft rubbish you can buy at the wholesaler ... but not great quality ... it looks like the QC person needs glasses when checking the product as it exits the machine.

Grey - V25HT3905 a decent quality at a much higher price ... which can be used in concrete slabs.

So what is the difference between the 2 ... if you are going to use the flexible conduit in where you plan to pour concrete ... best you dont install the V25HT2605 it is not collapse resistant and will collapse under pressure ... it will also snap when you atempt to glue it into a coupling ... it becomes soft and shrinks once you apply glue.

I thought Hellerman tyton had just changed the colour ... but it turns out I am just ripped off paying the grey price for the white junk.

You live and learn
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-Jan-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    ... but it turns out I am just ripped off paying the grey price for the white junk.
    Didn't see that coming

I hope you discovered this before the pour.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info...I had no idea that the different colours were also different grades.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So I call Hellerman Tyton and query the issue with the flexible conduit ... the response ... it is not our responsibilty to inform wholesaler about the difference between products ... " we give them our product catalog with all the data" ... wow ... thats all I can say.

Its like buying coke ... you still get a similar taste with less sugar just its now only 440 ml instead of 500 ml at the same price

In this case you still get hellerman tyton named product ... just an inferior reject version at the same price as the old grey sprague

They must have caught on to people requesting the hellerman sprague ...because it was far superior ( the grey sprague) to the other rubbish sold at electrical wholesalers ... now you can buy what I would classify and I am sure plastic manufacturing companies would regard as a reject product ...full of defects from the product not being straight ... to the dimples on the plastic.

On the sprague subject ... it seems there is something else you need to be cautious of ... when glued on a hot summers day while out preparing the piping on a deck ... it seems that even the grey sprague cannot tolerate the glue ... it makes the sprague soft and shrink in the coupling and if you tug on it ... it just breaks off ... I did the test with both the white and the grey in the cool workshop and it didnt react like it does while out in the sun ... I tried a differnet glue ... the sprague reacted the same in the heat.

The issue is now ... suddenly it is no longer within its data sheet specs ... you will hear people ask ... "dont you battle to get wiring through the sprague" ... the reason ... the plastic has shrunk to a smaller size ... making it difficult to get a draw wire thorugh ... now the SABS wiring regs no longer apply ... it might be high impact resistant ...but lost the product integrity.

It would be interesting to hear Hellerman Tytons view on this subject.

As I said you live and learn.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    To be honest I never use sprague. If I need a flexible conduit I use Copex or Kopex as some places spell it. It uses a proper mechanically fitted male adaptor on the ends which offers at least some strain relief.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Unfortunately kopex wouldnt be ideal in a slab/deck ...

For surface applications ... if the budget allows would be my first choice back in the day ... copex was even used for stove connections in domestic installations ... but old methods like bosal piping and even pvc piping has become like land lines and fax machines.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If all else fails ... read the instruction manual ... now here is something not many electricians will be aware of ... why I say this ... because in all the years I have worked in the industry I have seen all electricians gluing flexible conduit.

There is a label in the glue devil PVC cement bottle "NOT SUITABLE FOR SOFT AND FLEXIBLE PVC AND SOME PLASTICS ... eg polythene or polypropylene.

Ogatin pvc glue ... has no warning label ... I did contact them to get some feedback ... they are going to get back to me.

So here is a question for all you sparkies ... how many on you sand and clean the pipe prior to joining as per the instructions on the bottle ( which I read for the first time today ...and I have been using this glue since I was an appy many many many years ago)

Do you apply the glue to both the conduit and coupling/adaptor etc ?

Could it explain why when you pull the wires out a conduit in the ground its generally full of water ...due to a bad joint?

Thanks
    Yep, a quick go with sandpaper and then a wipe with some acetone should be done on any glued PVC joint.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    what a pipe cutter does is cut a nice clean cut ... however if you dont use a reamer to cut a 45 on the outside of the pipe ... what happens is the glue just pushes into the coupling or adptor ... which explains why in most cases ...you will find the conduit full of water when buried underground ... which means your cable/wire is soaking in water/mud.

And very import if used to glue water pipes ... drying time ... eeeish ... we learnt the hard way and had a cool shower ... I found a glue with a much faster drying time than the good ol Tangit.

By the way ...so much for impact resistant ... IT IS NOT ADVISABLE TO USE FLEXIBLE CONDUIT IN A SLAB ... not even high impact resistant flexible conduit ... when those builder get pouring with the concrete ... best your condutis are secured and if flexible conduits are used ...supported using off cuts of pvc pipe below the steel wire.

If you use slab boxes ... make sure you put pipe off cuts below the adaptors to prevent the builders team breaking them off at the box when they stand on them ... and when they start yanking on the wire to lift it ... then you realise why it is advisable to secure off cuts at the couplings.

I have done piping on many shuttered decks ... but never really taken note of the process ... just apply glue to the pipe and push it in ... after doing a few water pipe installations and learning the right way to do it has certainly open my eyes to the correct way to do electrical piping ...especialling in decks/slabs and underground.