Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Get Windows 10

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wptech View Post
    Can we still upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for free?
    I did ... apparently so long as your windows 7 was licensed ... mine is working.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I did ... apparently so long as your windows 7 was licensed ... mine is working.
    Thanks. When did you do it?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wptech View Post
    Thanks. When did you do it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGN4aXCuGuU
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Imagine that ...the very first thing that pops up as i open an XL spreadsheet ... office 2010 support ends in October

10 years has become the technical lifespan.
    I've been using LibreOffice for the last 10 years. Not a power user, so it works for what I need. It's open-source and free to use.
    Two downsides:
    1) Updates are not automatic (I only update for a major version change)
    2) It's default save is to the open-source format. You have to "Save As" and select your required format (.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, etc.)

Very similar to Microsoft Office but not as powerful.
    https://libreoffice.org/

5. Thanks given for this post:

polpak (17-Oct-21)

Thanks
    i think windows just suck!! linux is the best

7. Thanks given for this post:

polpak (17-Oct-21)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kidr View Post
    i think windows just suck!! linux is the best
    99.9% of the population is not a programmer, and setting Linux up requires technical know how.
    And if there is an issue, you require technical know to clear.
    Sometimes you have to design a product to make the user life easier, and this is where Windows has managed to get the operation right.
    You do not have to be a computer boffin to work windows.
    With out any training, I can do the following :-
    A mouse and a keyboard and I can type a letter.
    A mouse and a keyboard and I can set up a simple spreadsheet.

With Linux, I have to learn the operating system and know my way around the system to make it work.
    Have a printer, now go hunting for a compatible driver. Not so easy for a computer illiterate user.
    Most users use the computer for basic tasks as writing a letter, spreadsheet and email.

For a successful product, you have to design for your target market, and Windows has done that.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Justloadit writes: " 99.9% of the population is not a programmer, and setting Linux up requires technical know how.
    "

As a user am NOT so technical.

15 years ago, for my first few months certainly was nervous, soon realized was able to do everything I needed do.

Linux is not MS-W, so there is some learning, of this need only learn a few things to begin, other learning builds over time.

Self found using short simple terminal (like DOS prompt) commands taught me a lot, as soon was relaxing doing almost all my updates, upgrades, installations and removals, this as I found terminal learning much easier to remember.

Linux is not so hard to use, to learn, and with considerable savings :-)

Consider doing an install of ubuntu [longer term support version 20.04] onto a spare computer with empty hard drive partition (50 GB or more) and try it out.

BTW just installed Win-10 for one of my relations...

Last edited by polpak; 17-Oct-21 at 05:15 AM. Reason: admission

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by polpak View Post
    Justloadit writes: " 99.9% of the population is not a programmer, and setting Linux up requires technical know how.
    "

As a user am NOT so technical.

15 years ago, for my first few months certainly was nervous, soon realized was able to do everything I needed do.

Linux is not MS-W, so there is some learning, of this need only learn a few things to begin, other learning builds over time.

Self found using short simple terminal (like DOS prompt) commands taught me a lot, as soon was relaxing doing almost all my updates, upgrades, installations and removals, this as I found terminal learning much easier to remember.

Linux is not so hard to use, to learn, and with considerable savings :-)

Consider doing an install of ubuntu [longer term support version 20.04] onto a spare computer with empty hard drive partition (50 GB or more) and try it out.

BTW just installed Win-10 for one of my relations...

Just a point, if you wish to reply to a specific thread, and quote the thread , or parts of a thread, click on the icons at the bottom right hand side of the thread box, where it says "Reply with a quote", you can delete text not required, just do not mess with the text within the [] as this sets up the thread display format

Yes again, 99% of the population don't care about learning the intricacies of Linux/Ubunto.
    I will use an example, I enjoy the scones from a bakery, I will eat them regularly, however I could not be bothered or really want to know how to make the scones, I just pitch up buy one eat it and enjoy it.

I want to type a letter, I do not want to spend an hour trying to figure out why this morning why the program does not open properly for some reason.
    Believe me this happens often with IDE systems and upgrades.

Make no mistake I do partially understand the systems, this is the reason that I understand users.
    I have to deal with them everyday. If you want a successful product, you have to first design the interface around the user, and taking notice that the user is clueless with the operation.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

11. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (17-Oct-21)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Right as someone that knows IT here is my take and i invite any IT professional to read this.

When you boot Linux it looks good, feels fast and for the most part installing apps is easy simple and fast.

Drivers is buggy but supported all good. Most printers will work with Linux again all good. For Windows must have functionality a VM is a good solution depending on the work load.

Here is the thing, i run 4 servers in my home. i do a LOT of work and a lot of file types are NOT supported on Linux. It does not matter what replacement software i use, what software is compatible. Some pieces of software is simply a must have. For me CorelDRAW is a must have because it exports stuff to a format that my tools that are OLD AS HELL can still read.

Considering a new tool cost about 4 million Rand i am NOT buying a new one just so that i can run Linux. That would be STUPID as HELL because i will have a 4 million Rand loan to pay in a market that is volatile and crash happy. So my old tools that i got second hand and had to rebuild from the ground up must do the job. This means some of my tools run WinXP and yes i even have a Win95 PC running in 2021. Why because i am not buying new tools. The tools i got i got for less then R20k back in the late 1990s and early 2000 rebuild them and here we are. Now my math might be doggy but R20k is a lot less then 4million... i think.. not sure..

So before we sing Linux, Win10 or Win11 or cry over the death of WinXp and Win7 we must understand that there are people like myself that needs stuff to just work.

Now to be clear i run a lot of Linux computers. i have servers with at least 5 Linux VMs on it running currently dealing with file sharing and other important functions. So it is not that i am anti Linux. No... I am for the user. What ever the user needs the user needs and if it is a mix of Linux, Windows and even Apple "heaven help you with Apple" Getting these devices to talk to each other is a nightmare specially if some of them run WIN95 NOT WIN98 because there is no compatible driver after WIN95.

Today 2021 i run a windows95 PC yes a PC that i build in 1994 updated it to win95 in 1996 or 97 i can't remember, BUT still works to this day with its 133Mhz CPU S4 GPU and 10Mb network card and USB expansion card "with a driver from hell" It does its job.

So is Linux good? YES. Is Windows good? YES. Is apple good? YES. Is android OS for PC good? YES. All of them work in a network, all of them have functions they need to preform, all of them do what they are suppose to do.

The point i am making a PC is a tool, like any other tool it has requirements and limitations. It is up to you as the user to identify the use-case and get the tool to work.

It is for the same reason why massive companies spend millions on Java development and refuse to go over to any other development platform. Why? Because it is simply to expensive to change/start over. It is simply more cost effective to keep the old stuff rolling along.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (17-Oct-21)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415