Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Foreigners occupying local jobs?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    ^ Greg, Linked in article.
    Which link are you referring to? (I feel like I am missing something very obvious here ...)

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I worked for Standard Bank as an IT contractor in a management position years ago. A memo was sent to tell managers that this is how they have to employ people:
    - first try and find a black person
    - then try and find an Indian, coloured or Chinese person
    - next a contractor from India who comes to live in South Africa only for the duration of his/her contract
    - then only a white person.
    I could understand the first 2, but to choose an person from India above a white person is insane. By far the majority of people in their IT department were Indian people straight from India.
    I worked with some and they were no better than South Africans, regardless of colour. South Africans can take a broad view, but these guys were incredibly narrow minded as far as work went. They also were NOT cheaper than South Africans. As a matter of fact, they were quite a bit more expensive.

Needless to say, that was one of the reasons I moved my banking from Standard Bank to Capitec. Things like that matters.
    Sometimes the only transport available is a leap of faith

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    PPS ..... Just to let you know as well the white applicants are no where near as qualified as "other"s in a general aspect (age 20 - 30).......... But whom I to say this ...
    OK, I take strong exception to this. What do you think the reason for this is? Could it be that it is far more difficult for a white person to get into university perhaps? Your arrogance is not pretty.
    Sometimes the only transport available is a leap of faith

Suspended
    Thanks
    New retailer - I am specifically talking between the ages I mentioned based on the candidates applying for jobs in that age group. Why ? I have tried to answer that but it is clear that white ppl in that age group do not like that answer, but I can tell u this ....... If u look at our database of approx 20000 people the stats are clear showing qualifications etc.

Ps .. Not sure what you are taking exception to ? The fact or what ?

Pps .... It sounds as tho u are qualified, and part of the minority in SA. Just as a matter of interest I am also white and have 1 and a half kids qualified.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I received lots of terrible CVs for the position that I recently advertised and then this morning I receive one that it simply outstanding. If I were a rich man I would set up a business that would employ talented young people to experiment and run with their ideas. I would put all of them in a group and have them do talks like TED talks about themselves, their skills and their passions so that each and every one can get to see what the others are capable of. The posers and fools will get kicked out. The rest will then be guided and assisted so as to develop whatever sensible projects they come up with.

The bottom line is that if I were to win R10million today I would use it to set up such an organization, imagine the possibilities, imagine what can be accomplished when creative people are able to develop their dreams rather than be stifled to death in a corner office working at a menial task just to make a living. (Maybe this is the way Google works)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    The bottom line is that if I were to win R10million today I would use it to set up such an organization, imagine the possibilities, imagine what can be accomplished when creative people are able to develop their dreams rather than be stifled to death in a corner office working at a menial task just to make a living. (Maybe this is the way Google works)
    I think excellence lies somewhere between those two extremes. I have an incredibly talented friend who has all the freedom in the world to express his creativity. Unfortunately, he lacks the discipline to channel his potential productively (and profitably). Too much freedom can be just as stifling as too much structure.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Newretailer (01-Aug-14)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    I think excellence lies somewhere between those two extremes. I have an incredibly talented friend who has all the freedom in the world to express his creativity. Unfortunately, he lacks the discipline to channel his potential productively (and profitably). Too much freedom can be just as stifling as too much structure.
    I agree with you 100%. The only way I am able to channel my creativity is with loads of support from appropriately skilled people (administrative, financial, technical etc to keep me in check and on track) and heavy doses of Concerta (Ritalin) to keep me focused.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My "innovation hub" will feature an army of German ladies with a whips and a Ritalin bubblegum machine to keep all us crazies in line

Suspended
    Thanks
    Adrian and Greg - I agree with you 100%. Young people (Y generation) are very innovative and out of the box thinking. They are very refreshing to work with and keep a person young at the end of the day. Google's way of operating is fantastic - we actually try to base our business model on that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    My "innovation hub" will feature an army of German ladies with a whips and a Ritalin bubblegum machine to keep all us crazies in line
    If things don't work out this side I’m coming to work for you
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast