Thread: Water and conductivity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    An 'element' is a heating device where the internal heater wire is electrically insulated from the outer tube that contacts the water.

I suspect you're talking about an electrode heater although I've never come across one of these in South Africa apart from commercial and industrial types, only in central Africa.
    Hi AndyD

No, not an electrode heater. These shower heads have a bare, uninsulated element that heats the water. Checked it with the multimeter. 11 ohms from end to end and decreasing resistance as the one lead is moved along the element towards the other end. Definately not electrically insulated from the water.

see http://lorenzettisa.com/installation/

This is the unit.

Cheers and peace out
    Derek

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Hi AndyD

No, not an electrode heater. These shower heads have a bare, uninsulated element that heats the water. Checked it with the multimeter. 11 ohms from end to end and decreasing resistance as the one lead is moved along the element towards the other end. Definately not electrically insulated from the water.

This is the unit.

Cheers and peace out
    Derek
    Looking at the site it does appear that it is an element directly immersed in water if I look at the requirements for replacing the element and positioning of the earth wire , unless the extra earth wire is extra safety.They talk 3 connections to the element - Like Andy said , Don't think I would want that water flowing over my head.

There will definitely be a leakage to earth that the earth wire will be directing away from a person underneath - Manufacturer seems to stipulate an ELU in there instructions , so even if the regulation was not there I would say you need to fit an ELU ( SANS 10142-1 clause 5.1 ) - Maybe if you have an ELU dedicated to the shower head only you may get away without trips.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Hi AndyD

This is the unit.

Cheers and peace out
    Derek
    Wow....I can't believe they're selling those here, they're just wrong on so many levels...

Surely they fall laughably short of the IPx5 requirement in zone 1 for starters?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Wow....I can't believe they're selling those here, they're just wrong on so many levels...

Surely they fall laughably short of the IPx5 requirement in zone 1 for starters?
    At least the termination is done with a ferrule in the trunking and nicely taped up ... there is no way moisture could affect the earth leakage tripping
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.