Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
As a point of interest would you mind telling me what kind of budget you set aside for business software.
Well, this is one of the issues. I don't really budget and I suspect the majority of small businesses are the same as me. I might have some sort of idea in my head, but I don't for instance set aside funds to be spent over the next year for marketing / advertising / legal fees / training / IT etc. At least in no formal written way.

I know what I spent last year on those things and if they are recurring monthly or annual expenses then I will be aware that that will most likely continue.

A budget for a small business only becomes available once the owner / manager suddenly realises that he needs or wants something. I suppose that if there is a little surplus of funds left over each month, then and only then, the decision is made as to what to spend it on. The decision is made from a list of want-to-haves, and the priority on this list changes daily.

Your challenge is to make the small business owner "want" your product when its decision time. He does not have R20k allocated to software and wondering which software to spend it on. Thats the big business way.

So based on that, my budget for business software is zero, until Pastel suddenly go broke and I need to buy a new accounting package. Then my budget suddenly becomes round about the average cost of a similar accounting package from Quickbooks, Omni or Smartedge.

The only software that I have spent money on in say the last two years would be accounting software, windows (as part of a new computer purchase) .... and thats about it I'm afraid.

The email client, crm, project/task manager and office software are all run on free software.

Sorry, I'm a lousy target market