Thread: Building your own pool...crazy or not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Our pool cracked last year - had a team of 6 in for 4 days to lay additional steel reinforcing, hand pack concrete, re-do piping and paving ( ring-beam ) and plaster ready for fibreglass.

Trust me when I say - this is HARD LABOUR !!!

The fibreglass was done in less than a day. If you're in the Durban area, I can tell you who we used - very professional - Hennie at Falcon Fibreglass - has an excellent name in our area.

If you are putting in a pool, consider doing this at the start :

When adding the piping and return inlet to the pool, add an additional inlet for the return from the solar heating (panel or coils).

When ours was done, I added the following :

From the pump outlet that goes back to the pool : added a T-piece and a ball valve ( for flow control ) to each side of the T.
    One ball value is piped to your normal return inlet jet.
    The other goes to the solar heating location. I don't have the solar coils on the roof yet, but the pipe from the pool pump is sitting there waiting for that day.
    From the location of the solar coils, have a return pipe back to the pool, going to a second inlet jet.

Once you ( & I ) get round to adding the solar coils, use the ball valves to regulate the flow of return water so that some passes through the coils, and back to the second inlet jet. The remainder of the water travels to the first (standard) inlet jet.

My point is, that if you think you might want to add some heating at a later stage, add the piping and inlet jet now.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I had thought of that but the pool costs where mounting up and I was gatvol at the end with the whole thing! But working with PVC pipe is so easy, I will just cut out a section - I did all the plumbing so kept it basic!

Email problem
    Thanks
    All things considered, I did really manufacture this pool with the assistance of one person (and to be reasonable he completed a ton of the work). What a mission. Not a major pool, but rather took 1 and a half months of some burdensome work to finish.
    With respect to how much function and cost was included, that is simply school charges tragically. I know the inclination however, there's few employments I've done myself throughout the years that with knowing the past it would have been exceptional not to handle them.