Thread: The sad state of the electrical industry in SA

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Platinum Member
    Thanks

The sad state of the electrical industry in SA

We all know about potholes.

The question is do we fix the potholes, or paint a solid line and employ more police to fine people for swerving to miss the potlholes, then fine them for crossing the solid line?

Or do we fix the potholes, by creating better training facilties, improve the morale in the industry and offer better suppport for electricians?

I beleive it is important to police the industry for blantant dispregard to the regs, but I dont believe that is the problem, Most of the inspectors (contractors) who I have engauged with since I have changed my attitude towards non compliant work has made me realise that in most cases the person just doesnt know any better. The training and post training practical experience with a skilled artisan is what is lacking. I have found that some of the youngsters pay attention and want to learn, I have the arrogant fools who just blantantly disregard the regs, I dont even waste my time talking to them, I just hand them over, or the ones who are signing off COC's without even visiting the site, I dont have the time of day to deal with them and feel the DOL should step in and procecute them and set an example.

People ask what you would do if you won the lotto, I would use the money to pay my monthly bills so that I could spend my day helping youngsters who want to learn and improve their skills.

Who do you think should be responsible for policing of the industry, the DOL or a private company?

Do you feel customers should be responsible for their electrical installtion?

Do you feel the customer should be responsible for the investigation into illegal COC's?

2. Thanks given for this post:

Favourking (10-Aug-22)