Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
My view is a simple one....

I'm an electrician - I'm good at that - I go to someone house/place of business/factory where they have a problem. Person who doesn't understand the reason for their problem asks me to solve the problem. I suggest a solution based on what I see - they take it or leave it.

I'm not a plumber - I understand the basics - I call someone who is an expert and I listen to his advice. Yes I could have googled it but I don't want to flood my house

There is global pandemic - pretty much every medical expert (including the doctors who are treating my sick daughter) says take the pfzers jab. I ask them "Is it a good idea". They say "Hell yes" I google some stuff and find a lot of people who know nothing about it who mostly sound a bit mental(I AM VACINATED WITH THE BLOOD OF CHRIST!!!).
The doctor who has managed to keep my daughter cancer at bay seems a better person to listen to - I take the vacine and aprt froma bit of sore arm for a morning - all is well.
Well put! I trust the trained, qualified and experienced pilots / engineers to fly and maintain the planes....no matter how many hours I spent arguing with gamers on social media about playing "Mr airline pilot" on the Xbox!

The problem is that every man and his dog has an opinion and social media is a powerful force in many people's lives. Of course many people don't trust their governments (rightfully so in many cases) and thus deems whatever the government do as untrustworthy by default (whether it is so or not)

The bottom line to the entire debate is exactly as you say: "Its up to each of us to choose whose opinions we trust about a particular topic" - I trust the Brain Surgeon with my brain and the Electrician with my plugs but not vice versa. To add to the point - I don't trust the social media "performative activists" on either topic no matter how much noise they make!