So i have had a few encounters with "new owners" with regards to the height and location of the main switch.

" 6.6.1.6 any point of the DB that has to be reached shall not exceed a height of 2.2 m above FFL or (walking level)" This is where it gets interesting ...to the bottom of the DB ...the middle of the DB...the bottom of the main switch.

The first incident... the DB height from FFL to the middle of the main switch 2230 mm...so i made a wooden step 100 mm high and secured it to the wall directly below the DB...new owner moved in and complained about the DB height...i produced a picture of the platform which had been removed...because they couldnt fit the fridge in the location in front of the DB...and thats how the fight started...my argument is the fridge shouldnt obstruct access to the DB and the DB was installed long before the clever cupboard designer conveniently placed the fridge in front of the DB.

The next incident... the DB is 2240 mm to the middle of the main switch which by the way seem to be about the height that most DB were installed around the same time...i just left it and issued the COC...40 mm...really you gona make a person go to all the trouble of installing a piece of trunking 16 mm wires an extension box and a new main switch...for 40 mm
The DB was installed...50 plus years ago.

If anyone wants to fix this DB problem...consideration should be more focused on the location and surroundings...space in front of the DB...accessibility and more important issues.

If someone wants to make a law ...all DBs should be mounted in a passage behind the door when it is open at around eye level (5.5 to 6 ft) not arms reach ...so that when the door is closed ...there are no obstructions in front of the DB and short people can reach it.

It should be illegal to mount a DB in the kitchen...especially behind a fridge in the cupboard even if it is only 1999 mm to the middle of the main switch.

I suggested a customer fit a picture frame or a cupboard (150 mm deep) dedicated for the DB...the person told me it is against the law to mount a DB in a cupboard...well i just smiled.