Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you were Bill Gates...

Thanks
    "If I were Bill Gates?"

I would invest in a working operating system and ensure all software runs on any system always.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Travel the world hey,6 months in a country until i die

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The best one I ever saw on TV was on Who wants to be a millionaire. Fiona asked the contestants if they could choose to be anybody who would they like to be. The one guy said that he would like to be George Bush. She asked the contestant what he would do if he were George Bush. The guy said that he would commit suicide....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Would he require to have a truck license?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Just as our eyes are very inefficient so are our ears. Another problem of course is that we do not see or hear reality as such, we see and hear information that has been processed within our hard wired circuitry and also compared to our sub conscious recollections. That is exactly why we know that there is something wrong with a song that we know when it is sung slightly off-key (or too fast or too slow). We can't necessarily put our finger on the problem but we know that there is something wrong.
    All respect to the clever people that design digital sound equipment. That said electronics 101 suggest that you will never have a perfect digital wave. In analogue you do get the perfect wave and most people would actually think the sound is not pure because of all the tiny little background noises.

I don’t know, there is something about Long Plays it may well be that it is because my record player is of better quality then my CD player and that is a real possibility in its own right. That said there are scattered reports that Vinyl is slowly making a come-back, so here is me hoping.

That said I will never deny the technical side of encoding, it is really incredible stuff!! It really is, but I would like to have the option to buy a Vinyl at my local music store. I think a lot of people would.

As it was pointed out, it is most probably just a mind thing but maybe that is enough to allow vinyl to be a permanent part of our entertainment industry.

Blast from past: LPs make a comeback (Feature)
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The word perfect is a misnomer. In all thing one needs to decide on a reasonable degree of accuracy. If you are to measure the distance from Cape Town to JHB you do it in km. If you measure the length of your nose you use mm. By the same token, if you measure a sine wave and then interpolate the points measured you already have a fairly good representation of the wave. If one considers that speakers can only respond at finite speeds and that audio equipment can only respond to certain inputs, it stands to reason that one enters a point of diminishing returns when the sample and reproduction rate is increased.

Yes, there are people with acute hearing, and maybe you are one of them, but in general our ears are quite doff.

I must admit, I can still see the covers of many LP's in my minds eye - especially the ones that my girlfriend liked :-)

7. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (11-Jul-11)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just remember the main problem with vinyl was static. Pull a piece of metal over vinyl and you have a Van der Graaf static generator.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    If I were Bill Gates I would hire the best suite on the best cruise ship and just live there permanently.

Imagine new places to see new people to meet every three weeks or so and mostly the same staff to look after you.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.