Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Registration requirments - Installation ELectrician

  1. #1
    Email problem
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Registration requirments - Installation ELectrician

    According to the Occupational Health & Safety document (OHS3/1/5/7 "Registration as an accredited Person - 2006)", the "Option 3" requirements to register as an Installation Electrician fall under two headings .. a) Theoretical Qualification and b) Knowledge of Statutory Requirements.

    I'd like to know
    1) Am I correct in assuming that proof of practical electrical work experience is not a registration requirement?.

    2) I have a Masters Diploma in Electrical Engineering (light current) - Pretoria Technikon 1994. Does this qualification meet the theoretical Qualification requirement?

    3) How does one go about obtaining the "Unit standard 113894 - Test & Inspect 3-phase industrial/commercial installations"?

    4) Which of the the following 2 requirements must be obtained first: a - Installation rules 1&2 or b - Unit standard 113894?

    Thanks Trevor

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hello Trevor
    To answer your query:I suggest that you get the latest document (OHS3/1/5/9) of 2009.

    For your other questions:
    1) Your assumption is correct, however, remember that to qualify you do need to provide proof of practical electrical work. If you notice towards the end of the document, under the heading: "DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED" There is a mention of proof of practical experience among other things.

    2) I am not too sure with this one: If your qualification was (Heavy Current) then it was going to be easy (obvious).

    3)For the Unit Standards, you can get information from ESETA and also check with ECA training division near you. You can request information from me at and I will send you the contact details of the institution (in DURBAN) I did mine with.

    4) Installation Rules Paper 1 and 2 First, because for the unit standards you need all your qualifications including Paper 1&2. For the Unit standards you need to submit what is called the POE (Portfolio Of Evidence, which is usually a file) and once the file is completed you need to go for an assessment. Your Assessor will submit your POE and assment results to ESETA who will then (ESETA) issue you with the Certificate of competence upon satisfying themselves that you have everything in order.

    I hope, I have been of assistance to you.

    Thanks Fikani

  3. Thanks given for this post:

    Trev (16-Nov-10)

Similar Threads

  1. [Article] New electrical installation regulations
    By QUINN in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-Jun-14, 03:01 PM
  2. UK Electrician... just don't know what else to do...
    By skatingsparks in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 17-Aug-13, 07:53 PM
  3. [Question] Ducting in a roof
    By Jacques#1 in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22-Jul-10, 09:32 AM
  4. Mobile registration
    By tec0 in forum General Chat Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-Jul-09, 06:12 PM
  5. Changes to VAT registration process
    By CharlesM in forum Tax Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-Nov-08, 09:42 PM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts