Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playing silly pluggers

Thanks
    I got the sockets swapped with no arguments. Everything is working fine.

My thanks are due to AndyD for the info about the dodgy batch of stock which arrived on retailers' shelves.

Cheers,
    Wrinkly

PS I should really apologise to Clipsal for spelling their name wrongly in my first two posts of this thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkly View Post
    PS I should really apologise to Clipsal for spelling their name wrongly in my first two posts of this thread.
    *fixed*

I'm sure they won't notice

Suspended
    Thanks
    this is one of the reasons i no longer install clipsal products.

the batch you a talking about were "all the plugs sockets" supplied during the period 2005/2006 not just a batch...it is the earth socket which is faulty thats why they replaced it...it was made too small

during this period i installed more than 100 sockets...clipsals solution to this problem just return it....my question at whos cost?

then they supplied me with a steel plate with a piece of round bar to push into the earth socket to open it up so that the socket could be installed and removed a little easier...i still in 2010 have customers complaining about this issue from plug we installed during that period...hence the reason i no longer use clipsal sockets...

while on the subject of clipsal...their dimmers are rubbish full stop...

crabtree also had an issue with their sockets many years ago...when you switched on a kettle or any load a spark would come out just above the switch...i had many complains about this and spent many hours replacing sockets at my expense...i then stopped using crabtree even though they say they improved it and made it a 20 amp instead of a 16 amp switch....

moved to clipsal and had many issue with their sockets pushing plugs in and the whole unit would break and fall into the box...infact had one of these last week again...

then the clipsal dimmers just became an absolute nightmare...had a really embarrassing funstion launch with vivian reddy as the guest speaker...and while doing his speach the dimmer went haywire...bright dim bright dim...his comment if they had used edison power this wouldnt have happened..."no comment" i hear if you use edison power you will be lucky to actually get the power to come on their workmanship is so bad...i have never installed a clipsal dimmer since then and never been embbarressed like that since...i only use R&D dimmers now.

i moved to clipsal products plugs and switches...problem...the switch also fall into the box and you have to super glue the switch...

conclusion...products of today all rubbish best thing to do buy the cheapest they all come from the same factory...when it breaks just buy a new one...rahter than wasting R100-150 on a piece of rubbish... spend R39 going price for a double socket outl cheap one...

if you have old lumex switches and plugs...the cream colour ones...DONT REPLACE THEM WITH MODERN JUNK...these old plugs and switches still work and i have decided to start collecting them because they last forever.

Thanks
    It's a pity we can't get MK electrical products here in SA. I believe they have a very good reputation in the UK.

Suspended
    Thanks
    crabtree is the most expensive because you have to buy the plug and cover seperate...and dont be fooled into thinking because they are the most expensive they are the best...far from it...the covers crack if the wall is not 100 % straight or the socket is slightly deeper than the wall...and the live socket burns out if you use the socket for kettles or appliances like washing machines...

and in durban the crabtree plugs plate and cover (if steel) rust.

Thanks
    Crabtree aren't the most expensive by a long shot. LeGrand, Gewiss, Gira areall higher priced.
    I've always found Crabtree to be solid, I use them a lot on commercial installations and I can't remember the last time we had to return one under warranty. I've never seen a socket burned due to high current appliances. Often a problem is caused by overtightened or poor connections in the plug which causes the plug to melt. This might also damage the socket in extreme cases.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    ...and in durban the crabtree plugs plate and cover (if steel) rust.
    This is getting a bit off-topic, but EVERYTHING in Durban rusts. If you leave a Checkers plastic packet out in your garden overnight, it will rust!

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (25-Nov-10)

Email problem
    Thanks

Re edison power

then the clipsal dimmers just became an absolute nightmare...had a really embarrassing funstion launch with vivian reddy as the guest speaker...and while doing his speach the dimmer went haywire...bright dim bright dim...his comment if they had used edison power this wouldnt have happened..."no comment" i hear if you use edison power you will be lucky to actually get the power to come on their workmanship is so bad...i have never installed a clipsal dimmer since then and never been embbarressed like that since...i only use R&D dimmers now.
    Bit off topic, but regarding edison power.

The company I work for just lost a tender on a major development in my home town to edison, it would have meant that I would have been able to spend the weeknights with my wife and kids for 3 to 4 years, instead of just on weekends.

The facts:
    1.The major contractor nominated us as preffered.
    2.we were R2million cheaper than anyone else.
    3.Our BEE etc is perfect.
    4.The local government ( free state ) requested a local contractor, we are free state based. Edison is not

Edison has got the contract, when I spoke to a few consulting engineers in JHB and Pretoria, they all gave the same opinion that it was a tainted deal.

Pisses me off to no small extent.

As per normal South african standards, Tenders are anything but fair and on a point system.

I am now seriously looking to emmigrate.
    I just feel sorry for the small to medium guys out there without political connections.

Thanks
    OK. So now I have a faulty dimmer switch - light is on full power, no matter what the dial setting.

SO, what brand do I replace it with ? I want a dial type ( quieter when adjusting the setting - you'll be surprised just how loud the push button type clicks when you've got a 2 year old sleeping in the room ) and it needs 2 other buttons ( for bathroom and fan ).

Any suggestions please ?
    Last edited by daveob; 06-Dec-10 at 10:46 PM.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    SO, what brand do I replace it with ?
    You'll want something that matches your other switches, what make are the existing switches?

For domestic applications you can just use the R&D dimmer modules. The red modules are rotary-click off, the blue ones are rotary dim only and need a separate off switch. You can fit them into a Clipsal or Crabtree blank 4x2 plate for example. Their website is here.

12. Thanks given for this post:

daveob (07-Dec-10)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast