Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
mtn is 5 a day
Vodacom has (had?) a 20-a-day limit.

Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
Internet cost is still very high and I can no longer see the justification. Cell C, MTN, Vodacom and Virgin mobile “if they still exist” have to look at 8.ta and wonder if there isn’t a real conflict of interest here.
Against who, or what are you measuring this?

So it is true that ISPs are money pumps and they are making a killing but they love to play the “underdevelopment” card as seen here. I think the situation calls for transparency. How much do Telkom, MTN, Vodacom Cell C and Virgin mobile pay for 1GB of data? How much does the infrastructure cost to maintain? And what is the net profit?
Really? Who said so? I challenge you to start your own ISP and see if you can make it out there. If you can last even just 5 years, make a profit, pay staff salaries, buy office space, pay for marketing & advertising and offer the same service as any of these ISP's, at the same level of service they do, but do it at half the price they do, then you have a leg to stand on. Otherwise your assumtions are just that, assumptions.

Why can't a company make a profit?
Why do they have to run a loss just to keep the client happy?
Who will pay the staff, rent, insurance, marketing, etc if you demand everything at cost price?
Do you actually have any idea of what it costs just to rent the space where on cellular tower stands? Without even putting up some radios and antenna's, before there's even a hint of getting a client onto that mast?

I don’t think they will ever divulge that type of info but, my thinking is this: if there was no money in it then why provide the service in the first place?
Why are you in business? OR, for that matter, why do you even work? Is it not their right, as much as yours, to put food on the table, buys housing & car(s), clothes, education for their kids, employ staff, etc? Why do you judge them for making money, but you also make money?