Please guys - all this discussion about CoC's and the level of 'operator' issuing these things is, quite frankly, starting to scare me sh!tless.

We bought our house a little under 2 years ago. The house is about 30 years old and a CoC (I think ?) was issued by the sellers electrician as part of the requirements of the transfer process. Yes, Yes, I hear you saying, and with 20/20 hindsight, I agree that I should have appointed the electrician to issue the CoC. But, being a first time recent buyer of a house (last time was 20 years ago) I didn't know any better. The estate agent didn't tell me any different - he was the seller.

Then after we moved in, the next round started. We had wiring for outside lights re-routed to an indoor switch, plug points moved, dimmer switches fitted, geyser replaced, all by a number of contractors. In addition to this, one even convinced me to have the switches on the DB replaced as they were old, printing illegible, etc, etc.

So I assume that my CoC ( if that was what was issued for the transfer ) is no longer valid ?

On top of this, the neighbour 2 doors away had their 3 storey house, fitted with railway sleeper stairs, doors, paneling, etc, completely gutted apparently as a result of a domestic worker forcing the tripped switch up with the broom so she could get the ironing finished. Something in the home entertainment area blew and the result was not a pretty sight.

So now I start to question the safety of my own house. Are the new 20A switches on the DB over / under rated for the old wiring in the ceiling ( assuming their job is to protect this wiring from overheating and burning ? ). Do I need to get a complete CoC re-issued for the property ? Who do I turn to for this ? How long should a typical inspection take ( 3 bedroom, office, flat, pool ) and what should I be paying ?

Also, considering the age of the building, would you recommend that it be completely re-wired from top to bottom ? We are planning to live here for the rest of our time, so it's not a case of wanting to save cash before re-sale -- I want it safe for my family and my kids.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.