Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries

Electricians have the power already

Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Well, maybe that idea should be encouraged. How about a system whereby an electrician can report a seriously unsafe situation, and it gets examined by the local authority within, say, 48 hours. If in the opinion of the inspector, it's deemed dangerous, the mains supply gets cut - immediately - until a valid and complete coc is received and re-inspection by the local authority.

I think that a business faced with a total shutdown would seriously look into getting their stuff back up to spec before it happened.
    Actually, if an installation electrician or master installation electrician finds a seriously hazardous condition, they're supposed to disconnect immediately.

Not that easy when you're talking about disconnecting a client's or employer's entire supply though.

The key is probably as Andy says:
    ...and there is no action to remedy the faults from their side.
    Last edited by Dave A; 07-Sep-10 at 03:08 PM.

2. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (13-Oct-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Actually, if an installation electrician or master installation electrician finds a seriously hazardous condition, they're supposed to disconnect immediately.

Not that easy when you're talking about disconnecting a client's or employer's entire supply though.

I suppose that fear of loss of income / employment is often a cause for turning a blind eye - my total respect to greasemonkey for his action.
    Watching the ships passing by.

4. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (13-Oct-10)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's not just the money and it's not about turning a blind eye - you want to avoid unnecessary inconvenience for the client.

I know my guys have disconnected hazardous portions of an electrical installation in the past, but only once with (and despite) the client strenuously objecting. Most people understand the importance of safety, they just quibble about where the line is drawn at times.

Of course it's pretty routine to let the municipality know when we see problems from their supply side. Where the municipality gets involved (typical example the meter room in a block of flats) they tend to give a notice to the owner to rectify within 30 days or something along those lines.

A full blown immediate disconnection is pretty rare and I suspect is reserved only for the most extreme circumstances. I think what's winding most of us up in this case is this is not a temporary situation...
    Last edited by Dave A; 08-Sep-10 at 09:25 AM.

6. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (13-Oct-10)

Suspended
    Thanks
    talk is cheap...i have enough documented evidence to shut half of durbans shopping centres down due to unsafe installation...just imagine if i did...i am already regarded as an ahole...because i use to report every illegal installations i came across...i use to report all the cases to the ECa until brian turned around and made the comment...he doesnt know what all the fuss is about...i am tired of being shipped from pillar to post to try get someone to take so form of action against illegal contractors...at the end of the day you a frowned upon as being the bad egg...nobody in durban wants to take on the challenge of policing the industry...been down this road tooo many times...you are seen as a person just trying to make trouble for others in the industry.

thats why my advice to you is becareful what you post on a public forum...i agree with what you are doing 100 % but as a person been down that road many times and used by companies to try get me to sign over cocs...i have learnt to keep my nose clean do my work to the best of my ability and record everything which is not right.

i work in lots of engineering comapnies...they are the worste...filthy dirty and as illegal as you can find...if i had to start fixing all the factories and shopping centres to bring them up to standard i could employ a whole bunch of teams and would never get to retire.

one wise old man once told me...after having a rant and rave about a customer not wanting to bring their factory up to standard...he told me to record everything take pics report it and join the CYA club...then walk away...it is not worth the headaches...which is what i have done...the law has changed the owner of the premises is responsible for the electrical installation not the electrician...so long as you havent signed anything which is not correct you have nothing to fear...and make sure everything you now do is 100 % legit.

i can tell you from experience you are fighting a loosing battle...you may not loose your job but...you will need to watch your every step...from now on because they could turn this whole thing around and start gunning you for every little thing you do...it is easy for us to write things on website...its a little more difficult to live amongst people who are gona be gunning for you.

8. Thank given for this post:

123 (07-Sep-10), Dave A (07-Sep-10), mikilianis (13-Oct-10)

Thanks

Not so sure about "supposed" to disconnect in hazardous situation. I do however know it is required and I have disconnected where the elevated voltage on neutral was 67V.

10. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (13-Oct-10)

Thanks

There's often no way to disconnect a supply without council isolating the power from their side. You switch off a breaker, even with a safety lock-out device applied they restore their own power before your exhaust smoke has cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    talk is cheap...i have enough documented evidence to shut half of durbans shopping centres down due to unsafe installation....................you are seen as a person just trying to make trouble for others in the industry.
    Documenting and photographing is a great habit to get into. The minimum I do is to forward the info to a responsible person and get proof that they received it in the form of a return e-mail or if I present the info to them personally I get them to sign my duplicate copy.

Taking the Dept of Labour's recent interest in electrical safety to the next step, I'm wondering if the workmans compensation department might also be interested if unsafe electrical installations are increasing their liability.

he told me to record everything take pics report it and join the CYA club...then walk away...it is not worth the headaches...which is what i have done...
    I think if you just sit on the info and it's a genuine hazard to the users of the installation then you're becoming part of the problem as well.

so long as you havent signed anything which is not correct you have nothing to fear.
    The blinkers on, see no evil approach doesn't circumvent the responsibility you have as a professional for safety. I can honestly say I have never ignored anything that's blatantly unsafe, there have been occasions where I've insisted on partial disconnections of an installation. I'm probably lucky in that I don't see these kind of installations very regularly.

i can tell you from experience you are fighting a loosing battle...you may not loose your job but...you will need to watch your every step...from now on because they could turn this whole thing around and start gunning you for every little thing you do...it is easy for us to write things on website...its a little more difficult to live amongst people who are gona be gunning for you.
    If you're operating in the interests of safety then the law is on your side. They can gun all they damn well want to.

12. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (13-Oct-10)

Suspended
    Thanks
    the most important questions is can you afford the court battle...time wasted in court...money required for lawyers when the comapnies sues you backsides from here to the south pole...because that is pretty much where you gona end up if you take on a big corporation...bankrupt before it even gets to court...unless of course you have a huge trust fund to waste.

one thing i have learnt here in SA...everyone knows everyone...especially if you do something somebody doesnt like...word travels faster than the smoke can clear from your exhaust pipe.

most companies we deal with...setup programs to run over a period of time to attend to issues on an inspection report...this program could take 2 years or more to complete...with cost implications of millions of rands......they are not done over night...if you are talking about domestic installtions thats a different ball game.

as an inspector...you are limited with good solid factual resources and sound ethical backing...nobody wants to accept the responsibity....and now with the customer being the one to pay the bill for the investigation by the AIA or dol how many do you think are actually gona take place?
    Last edited by murdock; 08-Sep-10 at 07:30 AM.

14. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (13-Oct-10)

Thanks
    I keep coming back to this thread hoping to see a happy ending......

Suspended
    Thanks
    so do i andy but the reality is the budget and the comimment of the idividuals working in the industry...i am not saying all electricians are bad...but sometimes companies put individuals in a position like in this case where you have a choice either just do it or find another job.

the wise old man told me something else the other day which got me thinking...he said i should rather just do my work to the best of my ability then bring it to the customers attention that there are other issues which need to be sorted out rather than going in with an aggressive..."you must fix everything because its illegal right now" and slowly but surely fix things as the budget alows rather than spooking the customer with a hefty quote to fix everything in one hit...it is working...do litle bits at a time hopefully eventually it will all be sorted out...without the building burning down or killing someone...a little progress is better than no progress

i think every day of ways to improve this industry without becoming the bad person...ideas like we are doing with the greener world...until people change the the way they see there electricity on their property...most have the attitude that it has worked you years why now suddenly you come along and its all bad...p*ss off...it works fine...we will fix it when it breaks...maintenance is a thing of the past for most companies and individuals...i have the odd customer who still do minor maintenance but very few and decreasing...its difficult to stay competitve if you are adding money to your running cost to compete with people who arent...most peoples attitude is not to be in bussiness in 20 years time...its to make money now...

and unfortunatly you need to go to the training centres and you will see the problem starts there...

the goverment institution like eskom...transnet...durban metro etc need to get the training centres up and running again.

unfortunately the only way to stop the rot in the industry is to enforce heavy penalties...in saying that i think the reason nobody is enforcing anything is because who do you procecute...

the owner...who turns around and says but i dont know about electricity so i employ people who do.

the electrician...who has no control over what happens on a site once he leaves it and the owner uses pirate contractors...or the latest thing is how the electrician interprets the rules is the excuse...realy people if an installation is dangerous why could you have not used comen sense...
    Last edited by murdock; 13-Oct-10 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It certainly helps if we remember we're working with people, and they often respond more positively to gentle guidance than brutal negative comment.

Great technicians don't automatically have great people skills. When you can get the two together, it makes for a winning combination

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast