Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a good backup program for a small Windows network

Thanks
    Here's the backupoutlook bat to go with it.

Edit the filename to change the extension from txt to bat.

And the scriptinit bat. Sets up script processing environment.

As before manually make target directories. You must adapt it for your particular set up. I can't give you support for this unfortunately, every user will be different.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by AndyD; 30-Jul-10 at 11:56 PM.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (02-Aug-10)

Thanks
    Sorry about the delay, this is the first day in the last 2 weeks I've had any spare time.

Here's a few utilities for the logging of the backup and the sending of a confirmation email the the network administrator. Also there's a remote execution for backup on other workstations if you set up a backup user account.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Really like this software: http://www.dropbox.com/. It is new on the market but you get 2gb free. It lets you synchronise machines and keeps a secure backup on their server

Thanks
    "Second Copy 2000" will do exactly what you want and very easy to setup.
    They do charge for the program but only after 30 day trial. The license enables you to change the profiles but once you have done the setup, it will continue to work for as long as you like without the license key.
    If you do need to change a profile......just uninstall and install again, this gives you another 30 days !

www.centered.com/
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks

backupPC

Hi,

You could also try backupPC, which is an open source piece of software which will do exactly what you are looking for.

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net

Regards

Kim

Thanks
    I have to re-visit this thread since the backup solution I put in place doesn't work as well as I hoped.

I chose Comodo Backup since the interface is easy enough for the staff to understand and manage themselves.

The problem I now have is that I need better security for the backups. Currently all the user's data is being backed up to a shared folder on a Windows XP "server". It's a server with shared docs which everyone uses for various company documents. This Windows XP machine then gets backed up to another one, in a different building. So there's always 3 copies of every document on the network. I had to work with what the client had due to a limited budget.

The question is, does anyone know of a backup solution where I can setup different user accounts and secure each user's data individually? I know this is a typical Windows server type question, but the client doesn't want to fork-out the money for Windows server. And Linux, although it's my first suggestion, isn't option for them either. They need simplicity and don't want to use technology which someone else may not be able to take over and run with.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Many of the systems I found, start @ $599 for a server license, and then $50 per user licence which is simply too expensive for this client.

I don't need to backup Exchange, SQL, SharePoint or anything like that. Just files, documents, Pastel and emails - all which can be backed up without anything fancy.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    What about installing an FTP server? Even something Open Source like FileZilla ... then (if possible) get the backup software to upload the files to that. The ftp can have multiple usernames, each with their own home folder - impossible for them to see each other's files without the correct username/password. It would even be possible to setup the M$ client machines to have the ftp as a folder available to their explorer window - so they can browse their backups without needing to open some extra software (although I don't particularly like that idea).

Best of all is you have any of these mostly free client-side backup systems which simply upload to the "server" - quite a lot of them can upload directly to ftp, if not just map such ftp folder on their PC. Then on the "server" the Open Source FTP server software is obviously free, and not too difficult to setup. And of course no extra charges for extra users.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks

Cool Automated, centrally managed data backup software

Why don't you take a look at this data backup software at www.cibecs.com - You can centrally manage user backups (so no user intervention) schedule data backups and control what data is backed up. Or if you're looking for some more information, you could read this article on 6 features every backup solution should offer http://www.cibecs.com/_blog/Cibecs_B..._should_offer/

Thanks
    Does anyone have any experience with smaller NAS devices, i.e. something with 2 drives that can cater for 14 PC's? I've only ever worked on large SAN's & NAS devices so I'm not sure how well these small ones operate with something like 14 PC's, which will backup to it on a daily basis.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    you can get a 10 free user license at http://www.cibecs.com - its brilliant software - single-file restore - easy to use You can watch the product demo on the site.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast