Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our kids are in REAL trouble with education!

Thanks

Our kids are in REAL trouble with education!

I really am dreading the future of our kids. I recently watched a really stupid movie on how this guy had gone forward in time by several hundred years and everyone around him acted like 5 year olds. The systems had let them down, lack of learning and quite simply he was the smartest guy on the planet BY FAR! Stupid movie but what's scary is there could be reality in it.

My Grade 1 son yesterday started his homework. 3 hours later and a LOT of help from Dad, we finished. Him extremely tired and grumpy, and me with the worst temper in a long time. It involved maths, making up groups of numbers.

Question would be IE Complete the number set: 2, 4, 6, _ _ _ _ _ The answers being 8 10 12 etc
    The next question 46, 44, 42, 40, _ _ _ _ OK so backwards in 2's
    Another question counting forwards in 5's

This is the same work my daughter was doing I think in G4 or G3, don’t remember.

So can it make it the child smarter to be such advanced work at such an early stage. NOT!!! How can the child even define or READ the question for that matter when in Grade 1. How is he supposed to complete the sentences required in the same homework like : "I counted FORWARDS in 2's to get the answers" (he had to actually write these answers) The child's reading ability, just by the shear nature he is only starting school is no where capable of reading or defining the questions without an adult.

Bottom line is the homework is not for the child, its for the adults. Where does the education system get off saying that the reason children are becoming the way they are is because we don’t spend enough time with them. Where do they get off believing that we can afford to spend 3 hours on Homework. (1 child only) Children DO NOT want to spend time with there family doing homework. This is not bonding time, most children consider homework a punishment of sorts (I certainly did)

I chatted to another teacher who has refused to accept the new curriculum. She clearly states that in 5 years time, our G1 children are not going to be able to read the way we know reading by G5. Why, they are been taught to recognise site words, not sound words. A simple word "general" will be easily read as they learnt it as a site word but what about "generally", same word more or less but cant read it because its not a word they learnt. According to her this is happening ALREADY. Children are flunking as the parrot fashion type education is failing them.

A mathematician told me the times table and english are the basis for maths, get those 2, you fly. So start teaching them ENGLISH first, and the times table, then let do number sets, grouping all the rest of the crap! The child cant read the questions. IS THIS NOT AS CLEAR AS DAYLIGHT!

Very cross today…. Very very cross...
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I understand you anger in this situation. When I started school all those many years ago I remember being hit by the teacher a lot. We had to be able to count to a hundred in Grade 1. Our writing had to be perfect or we got hit by the teacher. Anything you did wrong result in being disciplined that didn’t resolve the problem and that was the teacher didn’t address the child’s needs only their own.

Today not much has changed, dyslexic children are still measured to normal children and the teachers are quick to say it is the child. BS you don’t get such a thing as a bad child only bad teachers or parents. A child is conditioned by influence such as his friends, parents and the teacher. If one of the 3 is not working then the child will have behavioural problems and this will lead to other bad things.

You do get good books and I found that slide shows on the TV are very effective with reading and counting. Also mix in a few surprises like make the last word on the slideshow cupcake and give him / her a cupcake for being successful.

In the end it is all about confidence. Still our education system is a joke and useless at best.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Educating your child is YOUR responsibility

Bottom line is the homework is not for the child, its for the adults. Where does the education system get off saying that the reason children are becoming the way they are is because we don’t spend enough time with them. Where do they get off believing that we can afford to spend 3 hours on Homework. (1 child only) Children DO NOT want to spend time with there family doing homework. This is not bonding time, most children consider homework a punishment of sorts (I certainly did)

The education system is perfectly right - parents do not spend enough time with their kids. It is your responsibility as a parent to see to the education of your child. I have 2 daughters 9 & 11. We spend many more than 3 hours a day with them helping them with homework. The time we spend with them is quality time because we teach them to think and interact with them intelligently, not just to complete the homework. You must remember that the education system is aimed at the masses - if you want a better education for your kids then you must take responsibility for it. What is bonding time? I don't need to have this with my kids - we partake in their lives and they in ours; there is no need for "bonding time"

Today not much has changed, dyslexic children are still measured to normal children and the teachers are quick to say it is the child.

Ag k_k man. My daughter has an 11 year old girl friend who is a bit slow. The PARENTS recognized this and she is now in a suitable school. Don't blame the teacher for the fact that you couldn't figure out that your kid has problems. My youngest daughter is mildly ADD. I can see it from her character traits - We compensate for her problem and show her how to compensate for her own limitations.

BS you don’t get such a thing as a bad child only bad teachers or parents.

You'll be very surprised to find out that you get terrible children - its never clever to make sweeping statements. Some people (children) are bipolar, schizophrenic, manic depressive and suffer from all sorts of problems. Some kids are simply little $h1ts and that is they way they are. Then of course there kids who do not have parents - do you blame the teacher that the kid is off his head.

A child is conditioned by influence such as his friends, parents and the teacher. If one of the 3 is not working then the child will have behavioural problems and this will lead to other bad things.

Let me rephrase what I said earlier "Ag k_k man" it is your responsibilty as a parent to ensure that other influences are handled appropriately. We talk to the girls all the time and ask them about their friends, their day, their thoughts and experiences; that is how you as a parent find out that the nice little 11 year old boy that likes to play with your daughter also likes to talk to her about her bra size.

The only thing that has come from this thread is simply that you cannot abdicate your responsibility as a parent to the teacher or the TV.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    [B]Bottom line is the homework is not for the child, its for the adults. .....

The education system is perfectly right - parents do not spend enough time with their kids.......

The only thing that has come from this thread is simply that you cannot abdicate your responsibility as a parent to the teacher or the TV.
    ok...lemme get this right....

a poor family lives in a shack in the township.

mom and dad gets up at five to make it to work by eight...

and they get home at eight at night, dead tired....

an hour before their children are supposed to be in bed.

when are they supposed to spend time with their kids ?

when i was young, my mom used to work in the post office call centre.

at one time she did a lot of overtime...and my dad was working shifts - heaven helped me if i disturbed his sleep when he did night shift...

and there were NO television teachers back then...

i made it through...

with NO help from my parents...

in today's world, that kind of commitment is simply not possible for most people.

wonder if the person who made that statement sticks to it...

just my 0.02c.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

You can't abdigate your responsibility

This is all very interesting but it does not change the fact that the parents are responsible for the education of their children.

So tell me, the guy that lives in the shack; what does his child do from 14H00 till he gets home? I suppose it is the teachers fault that the child runs around getting stoned and mugging old ladies.

When are they supposed to spend time with their kids? Well this raises an interesting point - Kids do not miraculously come into the family, they are produced by the parents. If the parents are unwilling to spend time with the kids then they shouldn't have the kids now should they.

in today's world, that kind of commitment is simply not possible for most people.

wonder if the person who made that statement sticks to it...

Let me repeat what I said earlier: Kids do not miraculously come into the family, they are produced by the parents. If the parents are unwilling to spend time with the kids then they shouldn't have the kids now should they.

And about sticking to it - raising kids is in your lifestyle. Doing homework, projects and spending time with the girls is not a burden therefore there is no "sticking to it" - we do it as a matter of course.

I do not talk about these things from a position of inexperience. My daughter are very bright and very well balanced. My eldest daughter is way ahead of her peers academically and she does extremely well in sport. My youngest daughter struggles with things academic due to her mild ADD but she excels at sport. There are kids in the group who do very well, some are average and some are falling behind. The performance of the children can generally be correlated with the involvement of the parents.

You, nor anybody else will convince me that the parents are responsible for all aspects of the child's life. If you are unwilling to take the responsibility then don't have children - it is not a right to have children - it is a privilege

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    adrianh >> I am so very happy for you. Your child will never face drugs without telling her mother or father. She will never keep secrets from you and will always be the perfect little student. Things change and as for special schools, have you been in one? Do you know what happens behind those walls?

I don’t think you do so don’t start with something you don’t know anything about. Maybe the school you have selected have a very good reputation but some people don’t have that option. Also if you study my posts in general you will find that I have stated before that schools are useless and that home schooling is probably the only real solution.

You'll be very surprised to find out that you get terrible children - its never clever to make sweeping statements. Some people (children) are bipolar, schizophrenic, manic depressive and suffer from all sorts of problems. Some kids are simply little $h1ts and that is they way they are. Then of course there kids who do not have parents - do you blame the teacher that the kid is off his head.
    How many of the above mentioned is due to an actual disorder in the brain? It is not the kids fault mom decided to empty a bottle of scotch wile pregnant now is it? I honestly don’t think children are born bad I think there are a lot of factors and influence.

I think you are blessed with your children but I don’t think it registered yet.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Mr Tec0,

adrianh >> I am so very happy for you. Your child will never face drugs without telling her mother or father. She will never keep secrets from you and will always be the perfect little student. Things change and as for special schools, have you been in one? Do you know what happens behind those walls?

You know nothing about me, my past, my family nor where I am today. You make sweeping statements about drugs and things that happen behind closed doors. So tell me Mr cleverdick, tell me about what I know and what I don't know, tell me about being addicted to drugs at 16, tell me about ADHD, tell me about Bipolar Disorder, tell me about alcohol abuse, tell me about violence in the family. Come now, you know who I am, you know where I come from, you know where I've been, you know the life that I have led.

Come on, tell me.

I don’t think you do so don’t start with something you don’t know anything about.

Mr Tec0,

You make sweeping statements. You know nothing about me, my past, nor where I am today. Your bigoted youth shines through the ill-considered inexperienced narrow views that you hold. Excuse me, what does the above statement I don’t think you do so don’t start with something you don’t know anything about. mean exactly. Does it mean that you are unable to follow through on a discussion where your subjective view hold as much water as a ZEN rice bowl.

Maybe the school you have selected have a very good reputation but some people don’t have that option. Also if you study my posts in general you will find that I have stated before that schools are useless and that home schooling is probably the only real solution.

Mr Tec0,
    I don't honestly wish to study anthing that you write considering that your views are bigoted uneducated guesses.

Quote:

How many of the above mentioned is due to an actual disorder in the brain? It is not the kids fault mom decided to empty a bottle of scotch wile pregnant now is it? I honestly don’t think children are born bad I think there are a lot of factors and influence.

Disorders of the brain, so Mr Tec0, tell me about disorders of the brain, tell me about what it is like to have Bipolar Disorder, tell me what it is like to be Manic Depressive, tell me what it is like to be ADHD, tell me about OCD - tell me how you would treat these disorders , come come, you have all the answers.

I think you are blessed with your children but I don’t think it registered yet.

Mr dear mr Tec0,
    Let me explain this to you very slowly, you seem to suffer from an inability to understand simple english text:

My children are the way they are because we take responsibility for their lives, we spend all our time with them, we educate them and we nurture them. Don't tell me about being blessed - I am sure that you think that Bill Gates is blessed - It all just fell out of the sky.

Take some time and try to understand this quote:

When I walk down a road and a dog barks at me, it says a lot about the dog and nothing about me...

And you know, some dogs just yap at anybody that passes by; yap yap yap....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    adrianh >> I will do my best not to lose my temperament but you so bluntly assume that I have all the answers it is your campaign against me all along. I said what I said based on the facts I know to be true. I will not change them and I will not take part in your little pissing contest. However you are just you and one cannot expect more than your point of view. And let’s not forget you attacked me first so I retaliated it is in my nature not to let things go.

However you wish to belittle me so be done with it. I stand by my statement there is not such a thing as a bad child. There is a lot of influence that will contribute to their personality. As for all the conditions you have mentioned I am sure you can Google them or talk to your doctor about the causes and effects. The truth is however and all doctors will tell you this: “How the mind works is to date still a mystery”

PS

Look who is doing all the barking “oops”
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks

To tec0

And let’s not forget you attacked me first so I retaliated it is in my nature not to let things go.

Your first post regarding this topic stated, and I quote:
    I don’t think you do so don’t start with something you don’t know anything about.

Damn, and I though my ADHD was bad!

As for all the conditions you have mentioned I am sure you can Google them or talk to your doctor about the causes and effects. The truth is however and all doctors will tell you this: “How the mind works is to date still a mystery”

I am sure my psychiatrist will be glad to hear this, I tell you what, how about you call him and enlighten him about Google, I'm sure he may have heard of it, but then, maybe not. If you like I can give you his number, or you could just look up Dr Mason in the Cape Town telephone directory. I am sure that Dr Mason would indulge you for half an hour at R 1,300 per hour

I will agree to disagree with your enlightened facts and views.

Well here is a good idea, I won't engage you in discussion and please don't engage me. I am far too old to indulge in pig wrestling.

Anyway my ADHD keeps me from paying attention for long enough, and the mood stabilizer that I take for my Bipolar Disorder stops me from caring too much about the matter anyway.

BTW:
    All commit, topics and point-of-views are for fictional and amusement purposes only and will differ with reality and is the product of thumb-sucking!

...you say it, not me.

..this is known as a Freudian slip...when you inadvertantly and subconsciously speak your mind, which is usually the truth.
    Last edited by adrianh; 22-May-10 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Interesting fact that you would make me the scoundrel and disregarded the fact that my post was second yours where third and note the big letters you have added express your standpoint. And as for my disclaimer it has its own purpose. I stick with my statements and just because I do, now I know nothing. The truth is as you put it: “What do you know about me?”

And I will engage with whomever I want on whatever subject I think is interesting. As for your friend with his R1300 per hour rate his understanding would be towards the basics of what the scientific community believes to be fact at this point in time. As you know science is dynamic and facts changes. But the truth is and most scientists will still agree that the mind is still very complex.

Oh and yes.

You are still barking at me.
    Last edited by tec0; 23-May-10 at 09:49 AM.
    peace is a state of mind

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.