i am aware of that....which is one of reasons why it is advisable to do a load survey and energy audit etc before spending R100 000 on a PFC control for big industrial insatllations...it is not always the answers...it all depends on the company tarrif structure...sometime just changing the tarrif structure helps reduce the electricity account...but thats a whole different ball game.

but saying that V X I = watts 230 X 10 = 2300 watts /1000 = 2.3 kw

if the equipment is made 20 % more efficient you drop the amps to 8 amps

230 X 8 = 1840 /1000 = 1.84 kw you are saving electricity.

you just dont get penalised for bad power factor in this country YET.

i have a feeling things are going to be changing in this country as more pressure is put on eskom and demand becomes greater

i am considering carrying out an energy audit on my own house to see where and how i can cut my electricity bill...by doing load profiles before and after recordings and looking at every electrical component in my house to see how i can reduce the electricity account...i have a recorder connected to my workshop to see how much power we are using...my lights in the workshop for example are costing me R139.2
per month to use.

how i worked this out

i have 10 of 5 ft double fittings

58 watts x 2 each =116 watts per fitting

on for 10 hours a day for 20 days a month

116 watts x 10 fittings x 10 hrs x 20 days = 232000 watts /1000 = 232 kw

232 kw X 0.60 per/kw = R139.20 per month

our first step in saving...we have fitted a 2 lever switch which switches on every second light...so now depending on the type of work we onlt switch on every second light...which will cut back bill by at least 20 - 30 %....this is just the first step...my goal is to get my electricity account back to an account of R250 per month....without having to spend R50 000 to achieve it and R2000 a month to maintain it...if i cant achieve this then i will hammer a spike into the ground so that it blows the fuse on the pole cut the cable do a joint in the ground and tee off the workshop before the meter then close everything up and call them to replace the fuse...saving electricity at a minimul cost...if they want to turn us into thieves by ripping the butt out of things then they must expect things like this to happen.

now beside all the free electrcity...huge bonuses...they are selling electricity for less than it cost to generate....which means you and i the suckers pay the bill

if i find out more kak like this i am gona come up with better and easier ways to bypass your electricty meter...without being caught...like clamping a bridge just under the meter between the 2 red wires...you dont break the seal just slow down the useage.