Thread: Malema a monster in the making

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Open Society

Slightly off topic.
    I heard Godzille on 702 the other day and she talked about the DA vision of the Open Society. I found the link to it. Here is the crux.
    There are five key components of an open society:
    • A constitution that enshrines the rule of law, individual rights and freedoms and
    the separation of powers
    • Transparency and accountability, without which governments abuse their power
    and compromise the freedoms enshrined in the constitution.
    • Security of person and property
    • An independent and free-thinking civil society, including a free and independent
    media and a free and independent political opposition that is loyal to the
    constitutional order
    • A general tolerance of difference on the part of the population
    • An economy that is characterized primarily by the free choices of individuals
    The two key ideas that unite these five components are the related ideas of individual
    freedom and the limitation of state power.
    The reason I posted this here is I think Julius is being used as a distraction to take the focus off the current shortcomings of the ANC. With this I hope the DA has moved on from being a whining party to one who does have a vision for a better SA. I like the current moves they are making with an example of limiting MEC's cars to around 500k value.

Even more off topic I recently read Ayn Rand's Atlas shrugged. While it seemed simplistic the message the wikipedia article gives a synopsis of the book. What struck me was once politicians and their cohorts dug themselves into a hole they carried on digging instead of filling it. I feel this is where ANC is taking us. Instead of a bit of humility and doing the right things. If you read the book then what is happening in Venezuela hits you between the eyes.
    So in short we should look beyond the Julius distraction and hope we don't become another African basket case.
    We get the government we deserve. (I think Voltaire said something like this)
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

2. Thank given for this post:

AndyD (27-Mar-10), Butch Hannan (28-Mar-10), Dave A (27-Mar-10), desA (28-Mar-10), wynn (29-Mar-10)