A new problem which is apparently corrupting the electrical industry.

in less than 6 months i have come across 2 installation both worth over R100 000 which have been installed by "private contractors" the customers are experiencing difficulties with their power factor correction units and trying to get these contractors to supply COCs for the installtion.

After some enquires i have found that apparently both installation have been done by personel one who works for the durban electricity department and the other by a member emloyed by eskom...the cost to repair in both cases is over R50 000...it turns out both contractors are registered in the wives names but the work was done by personal who work for the companies mentioned...with assitance of personel of one of the companies which supplies power factor correction equipment.

problems which these companies are experiencing:

capacitors blowing within 6 months
cooling systems incorrectly installed causing overheating
cables incorrectly selected and installed
cant get hold the "contractor"

what gets me is that i have to register with the ecb... bargaining council... etc...apparently these so called contractors are working for the council and eskom and doing this moonlighting work at a fraction of the cost because they are benefitting from the discounts offered...and using the equipment supplied by these companies to carry out the work which is being paid for by you and i...surely this is just as bad corrupt goverment officials who benifit from having private interests in companies receiving tenders