Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Green without going new age or supertech

Thanks
    By hand in 3 days with 3 labourers to assist. You're right, it's very deep, I used all our scaffold planks and then some for shuttering the sides of the hole. It's slow going, once you hit water you're pulling up mud and does make a mess of the garden with a surprisingly large pile of earth.

Before I started I asked around the neighbours and a couple of irrigation installers, the consensus was that there was water at between 3 and 4 meters so I never intended to go that deep. We only first saw water at nearly 6 meters. It was one of those jobs that with hindsight I probably wouldn't do again in a hurry.

Thanks
    Hire labour & tie a rope around their ankle.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Honestly... Well I will just bite my tongue for now... Let’s just say if you don’t know where to start digging then on its own you may have some really horrible consequences like hitting a pipe.

Also 8m deep??? I cannot imagine you not hitting rock at that point. I strongly recommend you talk to the professionals. Find out where there IS pipes and more importantly how deep the water is before you find yourself a dinosaur.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks

This could be a little off-topic, but, it is interesting nevertheless.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    how about motion sensors in every room, which switch the lights on only when there's motion, and some of those rotating extractor fans for the heat?
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

6. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (05-Mar-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm reading this thread for the first time - been really snowed under
    What a great topic! And pretty close to my heart. I don't have to go far to find some serious independance from municipal supplies - my parents have to fend for themselves for water and electricity. They do everything with solar power, even powering the borehole - which on a technical note is a single stage pump pushing a 32 metre head to the holding tank. It amazes me how much grunt you can get out of a solar panel if you use the juice the right way.

Other electrical demands were always an issue though and needed to be tightly managed - until CFL's came along. And now with LEDs they can watch as much TV as they like
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Filament lamps/bulbs/globes are outlawed in many countries but still alive and well in SA. I wouldn't be surprised to see legislation here though soon.
    It's just arrived - a R5.00 tax on each incandescent bulb - and I expect it'll grow faster than the sin taxes in future. Our government strategy seems to be you can have whatever (luxury) you like as long as you are prepared to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    Can you put a borehole in the garden, or well, & draw your own water? If there is a council bylaw prohibiting this,
    There's no municipality preventing it that I know to, at least not yet. Too heavy a draw on ground water can lead to problems, so if it became overly popular I'd expect some regulatory measures would become necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Still I want to come back to the luxury thing. I want running water because I pay for running water; I want electricity because I pay for electricity. I do not mind spending money if the property was my own. But with housing cost as it is... owning your own home will remain a distant pipe dream for a long long time to come.
    That may prove to be one of the biggest obstacles overall for SA. Property ownership affordability is an issue and the most meaningful measures seem to involve an investment in the property. The incentive for a tenant to make that green investment is virtually nil.
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I know of one or two places where the wells ware actually poisons. I strongly recommend that you test the quality of water before you start using it.
    Particularly in Gauteng or if you've got mines with slime dams in your area. These pose a serious heavy metal contamination threat to ground water, and heavy metal poisoning is not pleasant. However, there are very good filters available nowadays.
    Dave can this be made into a wiki as we progress?
    Any member can start a wiki page. Just use the search box in the wiki for the page title, and you'll be led through the process of starting a new wiki page from there.

8. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (06-Mar-10)

Thanks
    Will there be a fight over who owns the river water?

All one needs to emulate photosynthesis is 3 gal. of river water, four hours of sunlight, and an affordable cobalt-phosphate catalyst. Throw in a 30 sq m photovoltaic array and the artificial photosynthesis system produces hydrogen that can be stored for future power production via fuel cells or converted to liquid fuel. At this scale the system is available 24 hours/day for a typical western residence, observes PhysOrg. MIT chemist Dan Nocera expounds on the technology, which could resolve hydrogen transport issues, in this video . His start-up company, Sun Catalytix, received $4 million from the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    OK I am about to build my first solar panel but first I need some advice from the electro techies.

What do I call a timer for the geyser that fits into the DB with an adjustable dial type timer, like the dials on those 15amp plug timer fittings?

What do I call and where do I get the circulatory pump with temperature sensors to fit 22mm copper pipe?

"Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    What do I call a timer for the geyser that fits into the DB with an adjustable dial type timer, like the dials on those 15amp plug timer fittings?
    Not certain about this, but I would imagine that a digital timer would consume less juice than a mechanical one, as there are no moving parts ?

Anyway, I bought a digital timer for my geyser from Makro for just over R200. Has a host of programs that can be set for different times / days, etc. and manual over-ride buttons.

HTH
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    Breakdown of typical suburban home - electricity consumption

Water heating.....:. 45.9%
    Washing clothes..:. 2.4%
    Cooking..............:. 15.1%
    Space heating.....:. 4.1%
    Refrig/freezer......:. 15.1%
    Lights................:. 11.4%
    Other applicances:. 6.0%

Start with the big ones & reduce them first.
    Yes water heating is biggest consumer of electricity. So update your geyser/ electric water heater is the most urgent. Currently solar and heat pump water heaters are two most feasible option.
    Last edited by Dave A; 18-Jul-11 at 03:50 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast