Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wasps nests

Thanks
    The name "paper wasps" typically refers to members of the vespid subfamily Polistinae, though it often colloquially includes members of the subfamilies Vespinae (hornets and yellowjackets) and Stenogastrinae, which also make nests out of paper. Twenty-two species of Polistes paper wasps have been identified in North America and approximately 300 species have been identified worldwide. The Old World tribe Ropalidiini contains another 300 species, and the Neotropical tribes Epiponini and Mischocyttarini each contain over 250 more, so the total number of true paper wasps worldwide is about 1100 species, nearly half of which can be found in the Neotropics.
    The nests of most true paper wasps are characterized by having open combs with cells for brood rearing, and a petiole, or constricted stalk, that anchors the nest (see image, right).[3] Paper wasps secrete a chemical which repels ants, which they spread around the base of the anchor to prevent the loss of eggs or brood.Most social wasps of the family Vespidae make nests from paper; although some stenogastrine species, such as Liostenogaster flavolineata, use mud. A small group of eusocial crabronid wasps, of the genus Microstigmus (the only eusocial wasps outside the family Vespidae), also construct nests out of chewed plant fibers, though the nest consistency is quite different from those of true paper wasps, due to the absence of wood fibers, and the use of silk to bind the fibers.

2. Thank given for this post:

BigRed (27-Apr-10), Spokie (21-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Nice Info Seena

Now, any advice how to get rid of them in a safe manner? Unfortunatly one cannot relocate them without killing them.... or at the least destroying thir home.

The only thing I hate and readily kill are mosquitoes, fly, cockroaches and ticks. for the rest of them creepy crawlies, I relocate them

Email problem
    Thanks
    im not sure is this effective but just try to put a smoke under the wasp nest.

Thanks
    As I have large hedges that are to be cur periodically and as I'm stung a few times (2 x in the face) by the red little hornets/wasps, or whatever the name is, with serious results, I consider/classify them as pests. Is there somebody that could give me a name of a spray insecticide that I can apply to my hedges before I trim them without resulting confrontation? I have a lot experience with the doom and run method but this can not work for hedges as you can't see them beforehand.

Thanks
    Wasps and bees are beneficial insects, although they are generally considered to be pests because of their ability to sting. Wasps, in particular, can become a problem in autumn when they may disrupt many outdoor activities. People often mistakenly call all stinging insects "bees". While both social wasps and bees live in colonies ruled by queens and maintained by workers, they look and behave differently. It is important to distinguish between these insects because different methods may be necessary to control them if they become a nuisance.

Suspended
    Thanks
    You must remove that wasp nest before no one was on harm. Who knows? Spray the nest of a wasp spray, or else call an expert for removing of the wasps nest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12