Thread: The importance of e-mail and e-mail rules.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Plus one for this! I use my GMail account simply for forum connections and such, business is handled by our own email server. This so my business email does not lay on numerous servers all over the world. It was actually due to spamming that this came about a few years ago.

Now however, I can't use the GMail for any legitimate business ... since nearly all my contacts see it as spam. At least on our own server, we've modified the rules to allow certain GMail accounts (and other free mail where we found out about it).

Another strange thing: one of my collogues uses his GMail from Cell Phone. If he sends using the Nokia's built-in email client - it always turns out to be spam. But if he sends using the GMail Java app, it works fine most of the time. So it seems even the email client could generate a spam flag, not just the server.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So it seems even the email client could generate a spam flag, not just the server.
    Now that is where lazy IT work comes in at both ends. Still I have to concentrate on the people and businesses that can’t afford to run or have registered mail servers. That is the key problem here. Countless CV’s that will never be delivered and countless enquiries that will never be answered.

That is the reality of the situation right now; free users will NOT be noted due to basic housekeeping and a little extra IT work. But the biggest let down is the “free” e-mail servers themselves! They have the knowhow and the money to develop proper scanning tools but are unable to do so.

Still it is not just free e-mail service that has this problem. Fact is my ABSA mail was also recognised as spam?? That is why I stopped my ABSA internet service all those years ago... Still it comes down to is this: If companies instruct there IT to do screening and write proper rules then there might be hope... if not then stand to lose some money because some clients do not recognise the problem at hand and will shop else-ware.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 2,264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think done right GMail really doesn't present a problem - at least on a technical level. However, when it comes to business mail, using a free email service might raise an eyebrow while you're still at the "building credibility" stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Another strange thing: one of my collogues uses his GMail from Cell Phone. If he sends using the Nokia's built-in email client - it always turns out to be spam. But if he sends using the GMail Java app, it works fine most of the time. So it seems even the email client could generate a spam flag, not just the server.
    I suspect the key to not having problems with GMail is to send your emails via the GMail SMTP service. You'll probably find the Nokia app is using the ISP's SMTP - or worse, a javascipt mail service app.