Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UK Electrician... just don't know what else to do...

Thanks
    Interesting read,I'm back in Scotland been here since the start of the year.

Thanks
    How's things in Scotland?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Don't feel bad. I have been in this industry for toooooo long and haven't had a choice because it pays the bills, trust me like yourself I am over this electrical industry (as I am sure you have picked by my responses) People are not interested in a quality workmanship anymore, or should I rephrase that, they don't want to pay for quality, they want to pay peants and expect to get a master electrician. If they get a handy man to do the job at a third of the price, they are happy but let the house burn down and then they want to sue the handyman for the clothes off his back.

I wish you luck over there and I know from mates who have left for a "better future" aren't coming back anytime soon.

Personally, what I know now, I would never have wasted my time becoming a master electrician, the less you know the less they can nail you for, all that red card stand for in my eyes is a bull eyes for people to hit when they looking for someone to point fingers.

On many occasions I have been cornered with the phrase, "but you should have known better" with all those qualifications, now when people ask I tell them I work for the company and I am just an electrician, beauty about that is they don't expect a COC, and like Apple you don't ask, you don't get.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    How's things in Scotland?
    Morning Andy,its going fine even if I don't have a job yet.i had to get upto date with the regs when I came back,a 3 day course with a open book exam on the 3rd day passed with flying colours.i feel a lot more relaxed here and stress free on the roads aswell is a good thing haha.Its coming into summer here and it's weird getting use to it being light till late at night.Im also waiting for my tools to arrive and other things,its been a very long wait.

Thanks
    One thing I'll always remember about the UK is those summer evenings when it's still daylight at 11.30 at night, it's probably something to do with its proximity to the Arctic circle but it was pleasant . Good luck getting back on your feet and I hope your tools arrive.

Thanks
    Hi, my husband qualified in Zimbabwe, has over 20 years working experience as an Electrician. We moved to SA after 10yrs in the UK and SAQA have certified his qualifications as an N4.

He would like to get his SA wiremans (3 phase) but really has not been given a straight answer by anyone. He registered for a 10wk course for units 1 and 2 (Saturdays only) but it really proved to be too much to handle!!!

I have been doing some reading and found something about him applying under Section 28 due to his experience? What would this entail? If it means he still has to write exams, can anyone recommend a course with a good reputation/pass rate in the West Rand?

Really need some advice!!!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    TanyaH the best way is for your husband do a local trade test I know of a U.K. sparky who resorted to that and after doing the test said that he should of done that in the fist place as after all his running around all he could get was a single phase tester certification

Thanks
    My sympathies for,all the uphill. I off to the UK with my papers and screwdriver next week, pale male had enough of this lot.

Thanks
    Where abouts in the UK you moving to ericlowry?Are you qualified in the UK?

Thanks

Cool Leaving on a jet plane

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyScott View Post
    Where abouts in the UK you moving to ericlowry?Are you qualified in the UK?
    Moving to the north west Lancashire, I was there in April this year and enjoyed it, everything works, you go somewhere and people know what to do. Streets are clean public transport is on time. I can do city and guilds exams to qualify, got the IEE regulation books already. i will take my m.i.e. registration and papers. If I can't work as a electrician I'm willing to do anything. Just getting my stuff together ASAP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast