Most Bartering systems do not try to supplant, normal cash. Some schemes actually endeavour to boost cashflow. And your are correct, controlling the bartering system can lead to all sorts of problems.

Our banking system, however is not clean. It is believed that the banking system is corrupt to the core. An alternative exchange mechanism may only work if the banking, "money out of nothing" system is destroyed.

Banks will have to close their doors if no one made loans, overdrafts or used credit cards. And that is even staying within the banking system, using only money in accounts, by paying cheques within limits(without overdrafts or overdrawn facilities), using debit cards.

If banks start loosing money, due to less excessive interest(prime plus), maybe only then can we exert pressure on them to either get their act together or close shop.

The concept is simple. If I have R1000.00 in my account, I can only spend
R1000 nothing more. Spending money we dont have, on things we dont need is the biggest contributor to our current debt crisis.

Overdrafts are another controversial "loan". Many businesses think they cant survive without it. Unless an overdraft is strictly used as a tool that finances working capital, and reverts to a nil or favourable balance, sometime, the user of an overdraft is in big trouble(ask many a business owner who was faced with a reduction facility, myself included) and the unfair charges and interest. All the so called benefits are outweighed by the subsequent problems. The reality is, we only have the benefit of an overdraft, once, therafter it becomes a nightmare.

Coming back to the money system. If we not going to look at another method of exchange, we will have to take action(peaceful, non violent, non compliance with the banking system). We cant whine and whinge about bank charges and interest rates and do absolutely nothing about it.