Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signs of a changing of the guard?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The first step in solving problems is acknowledging they exist.
    There is a serious problem with discipline in the SA National Defence Force (SANDF), Defence and Military Veterans Minister Lindiwe Sisulu admitted on Tuesday.

"You're right, there is a problem with discipline... a serious problem of discipline in the defence force," she told members of Parliament's defence and military veterans portfolio committee.

Responding to questions, she said if there were no problems "we wouldn't have had the problem we had on the lawns at the Union Buildings" two weeks ago.
    full story from IOL here
    Well done Lindiwe!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    blegh! I was hopeful too and slowly starting to wonder if I had underestimated the JZ administration until the news report recently that the sleeping mayor will not be dismissed as no official complaint was received...
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You might be right, Debbie.
    The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) will, for at least the next two months, not fire any soldiers who took part in an alleged illegal protest march at the Union Buildings in Pretoria last month.

The South African National Defence Union (Sandu) on Wednesday took Defence Minister Lindiwe Sisulu and the chief of the SANDF to court to stop its members from being dismissed and to declare the procedure adopted in dismissal notices served on them unconstitutional.

After several hours of negotiations, the minister late on Wednesday afternoon undertook not to dismiss any of Sandu's members as a result of the August 26 march, pending the finalisation of the union's urgent application.

In terms of the settlement, the SANDF may also not remove any of the soldiers' benefits, but may "redeploy" them, provided they remain geographically in the same area.

This could include placing them on special leave on full pay, with the retention of their benefits.
    full story from M&G here
    At this rate, there will have to be consultation before every order in the military.

"Troops, attention!"

"We were not consulted before this order was given"
    "Why must we come to attention?"
    "Has the definition of attention been documented and properly signed off by all those who are expected to come to attention?"

Last edited by Dave A; 11-Sep-09 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks
    Attention Deficit Disorder??
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    They also want guarantees that if redeployed it will be in the same area.

"The regiment is going up to the Border to defend our country."
    "Oh can' t do Sir"...."Union says we have not been consulted and we cannot be deployed beyond a 5 km radius of where we live with our families....Sir"
    "Oh and as for that sleeping on the hard ground in a sleeping bag stuff...Sir....Thats also out now". "We demand a 5 star hotel or equivalent like we currently use and our wives and families and girlfriends within close distance to look after us...Sir"
    " Oh and did we mention the noise decibel levels of the rifles that you make us use...Sir....We refuse to use them until the levels are brought down to an acceptable range so that our eardrums are not put into danger....Sir"
    "And while we are about it...Sir....that corporal that shouts at us Sir, uses unacceptable racist, vitriol, hatred speech and he is not available now to lead us, Sir as he is suspended with full pay until further notice or until his hearing comes up, regarding this matter of shouting at the troops, which ever is the shorter or longer of the period in question in terms of section 666 subsection b of the our union rules and procedure manual.....Sir"

"Troop........get the &*&^%$(*& out of my sight before I put my bayonet through your ears, use your peel as kick start and drive you round like a Harley Davidson"

"Yes Sir........but our Union does not like us to be used as motorised transport when we can now use the new BRT system to go home"

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    "Being driven around like a Harley Davidson is not in my job description, Sir!

And when last did this workplace facility have an occupational health and safety audit?"

I wonder if the army is still allowed a 2% mortality rate during training - because right now seems a good time to use up the rations.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Attention Deficit Disorder??
    LMAO @Marq - good one!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    And now the Minister is questioning whether unions should be allowed in the military...

My brother was telling me about a place he worked for with a German owner. If a worker complained about something, he would go "Follow me" and walk him to the big, roll-up shutter door.

Then he would point to the door and say "There is the door" and just stand there as if he was expecting something.

After a while he'd say "You're still here! Over there is work. This is the door" and off the owner would walk back to work.

Most workers went back to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12