Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The arms deal corruption issue

Thanks
    In what could turn out to be the greatest fraud in US history, American authorities have started to investigate the alleged role of senior military officers in the misuse of $125bn (£88bn) in a US -directed effort to reconstruct Iraq after the fall of Saddam Hussein. The exact sum missing may never be clear, but a report by the US Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction (SIGIR) suggests it may exceed $50bn, making it an even bigger theft than Bernard Madoff's notorious Ponzi scheme.
    Not to be outdone by the South African leaders, the Americans have a their own soapie arms deal going.......here
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 2,264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It looks like part of the ANC strategy is to have us believe Jacob Zuma is a victim. However, is he Jacob the victim or Jacob the manipulator?

It is a pity the court of public opinion is only convened every 5 years to hand out judgement as there is no guarantee that this crucial bit of evidence will emerge before 22nd April.

Thanks
    The problem being that the general 'court of public opinion' is misinformed, easily led astray, has no clue on the big picture, is not directly affected by the grime and corruption and will follow the person with the biggest mouth.

The question for them is probably - what or who is an alternative? I think they see politicians as all the same. (Well they are anyway, are they not?)
    In a way the 'terror' is responsible for some of that - he was involved in their previous struggle without helping them then, what could he do differently now - is he is just another corrupt politician? after all was he not the head of the defence story? Did he not have the biggest say in the arms deal? Who else has come to light that shows potential of being a great leader? I cannot think of one shining light out there.

So better the devil you know......mmmmm
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    There it hangs on the lamppost: The leering potato head of the apocalypse. Better the potato head you know...than the rotten egg you don't?

Thanks
    The more things change the more they stay the same.
    There are a lot of 'Mbeki Cadre Deployees' who are rudely having their bums thrown off their little piles of butter.
    Then there are a lot of potential 'Zuma Cadre Deployees' lining up to slip their ar$e$ into the other guys butter, I fear there are more 'Ar$e$ than Butter and that will lead to bloodshed.

If only the powers that be devoted the same intellectual time to solving the problems of the poor instead of all the back stabbing, we would live in a paradise, I suppose one can dream.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I fail to understand the need for politicians in general but that is just me. However in the plan of plans JZ it seems have still a role to play. What role that might be is left up to time to reveal. The thing that worries me so, is how easy we say the word corruption... Has it lost its booming effect that someone is indeed evil at mind and by hand steeling much more then what we as a country can afford! Surly you must jest! But we do not... for this is no joke... If political power is based on integrity and moral soundness then surely justice has its place! Alas no... The system has failed one and all! It showed the world that justice has a price-tag. So in principle if justice is for sale then everything it stands for is also for sale and that includes you and I! So where is the line to be drawn?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh the irony
    Zuma ally and SACP boss Blade Nzimande, in a statement, accused the media of engaging in the diversionary tactic of "focusing on how information may have gotten into the hands of Zuma's lawyers... That's not the issue. The issue is that organs of state have been abused."
    full story from IOL here
    Comrade Blade - what if those tapes landed in the hands of Zuma's lawyers via abuse of organs of state?

Suspended
    Thanks
    It is kind of interesting this JZ story. Really it is actually kind of fictional because let us face it the aliens could have given JZ the evidence he needed for exoneration. Or little green men from mars but it still points to the same question and it always will. Who will benefit from JZ exoneration? It does not matter if JZ was guilty or innocent what matters is that someone took the time and made sure he is exonerated... Now somehow I don’t think this was done out of the goodness of that person’s heart. No politics is a dog eat dog world...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In the interest of balanced reporting:
    National Director of Public Prosecutions Moketedi Mpshe could have made no other decision than to drop charges against ANC president Jacob Zuma, former judge Willem Heath said on Thursday.

"If he proceeded [with the prosecution] the judge would have ruled that it was an illegality and it would have come to an end," Heath said.
    full story from IOL here
    I'll agree with one aspect though. The DA et al are crazy trying to fight this through the courts. In fact it sums up the DA's weakness - fighting for the fine points whilst missing the bigger picture. They need to be scoring their victories in the polls, not the courts.

Hearts, then minds bring the big numbers.
    Last edited by Dave A; 18-Apr-09 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    And right on queue...

This, I think, supports my suggestion that chasing Zuma through the courts is bad strategy.
    The survey said Zuma’s legal woes have not affected his party and that only the controversial behaviour of the ANC Youth League and its president, Julius Malema, have cost it support.

One-third of voters polled said they would vote for an opposition party because of Malema, while 10% said they would not vote at all because of him. More than 50% of those polled said Zuma’s legal troubles will “make them more likely to vote for the ANC”.
    full story from M&G here

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast