Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Easy way to stop smoking

Thanks
    Wow, that's harsh and scary, I thought of following the more gentle route of Zyban and it gave me the horrors reading what some people experience whilst taking the meds, so I ruled that out too. I am just glad you found something that worked, and I am sorry that you had to see that. At this stage I am finding that carrots work, don't ask me why, but it seems to work for me thus far. The problem you get from carrots is that it actually colours your skin if you have too much of it, so hallo glow in the dark orange girl

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Murray View Post
    Well, I got the CD's by accident, 5 of them I thought i was buying the book, I am sorry to say that I spent the weekend listening to the cds and I tried very hard, gave it my all, but I failed to quit. There is nothing easy about it, and Jakes joined me as well, and he failed too.
    I'm sorry to hear that Alta. I'm not quite convinced yet. Will you read the book if I send it to you?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That would make an interesting experiment. Does hearing a book differ in its impact as compared to reading the book?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a substantial difference. Reading is a more focused activity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Reading is a more focused activity.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks
    Of course I will!!!! I don't mind all the other stuff about smoking, most of it is pie in the sky as far as I am concerned. One of my best and oldest friends is Vice-Chancelour at the University,and he has done some very interesting research on smoking. Actually built on the research his dad did before him. So I am not bothered with the issues that most smokers struggle with.

What I hate, and I absolutely hate it with such a passion, is that it is my boss. I can not stand that. Never compromise your freedom -- and here I am being ruled by what I call the very finger of Satan.

And my children, though very supportive, are hosing themselves, they know me as a very determined person, so they find it very funny to see me struggling and coming up with all these ideas

Thank you so much for being such a gentle, caring individual, and I would love to have the book.

Thanks
    It would be the logical conclussion to think that, however I did some research on the subject and experimented on my students.

It differs from person to person, some go for the audio input and they are the people who do very well in lectures, some go for visual input, so they do well with the lecture in conjuction with retaining info with flow charts.

Some people have to include some form of physical activity to retain information. It all has to do with re-call and it is easy to test which way you prefer.

When you know you *know* the answer, do you recall where the answer is on the page of the book, or do you recall the person saying something, ie you hear the voice in your head, or do you remember hearing the dog barking, your body position and where you were?

The best method is a combination of all the different methods, and that overcomes the difficulty children have today with reading. The brain has changed, and they don't find reading as easy as we do. Remember that next time you nag your kids to read

But for me it will always be reading, I have had a love affair with books ever since I can remember. I have a whole wall of books in my drawing room, yes I am that exciting!

Thanks
    You are so kind, that I will feel bad if you send me the book. Is there anything that I can do for you in return, anything that I can help you with?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just want to point out that you can't drive and read. Or maybe that is "you shouldn't" given some drivers out there, but I hope you get the idea.

Another example - imagine teaching reasonably advanced maths by audio only

As you say, audio and visual is processed in a different way. Maybe that is part of the magic of this book (which now might be undone if you've listened to the CD book).

Thanks
    I hope not that I've spoiled the book Now dave, I hope people read & drive, that perhaps is the problem, one should actually pay some attention to reading the road signs ugh month end chores, and I wonder who is ever in the mood for it?

Thanks
    Hi Alta,

I've sent you a PM. Enjoy!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast