Thread: UPS vs Inverter

Platinum Member
    Thanks

UPS vs Inverter

I am getting a lot of calls from customers who want to replace their UPS with an Inverter.... NOT the same thing.

UPS - uninterrupted power supply, which means the unit is always online or can switch fast enough that it shouldn't loose power to any connected equipment (just beware of the cheap UPS units)

An inverter might indicate that it has a pure sinewave, but is not an uninterrupted power supply".

For example if you have a server in an office, linked to a bunch of computers, I would highly recommend you fit a good quality online "UPS" with a stabilized power supply and surge protection.

We use inverters in some factories to keep the computers on, keep the CCTV and alarm systems powered up but the server and other important stuff, has an online UPS in the server cabinet.

We have found that the switching time of inverters do cause problems and are not suitable for critical power equipment.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Gene (15-Apr-24)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    We have installed inverters to assist with the back up time but told the customer to leave the UPS in and the inverter can then supply power to the UPS
    The older UPS units cannot take lithium and it becomes an expensive exercise changing batteries due to load shedding - At least the inverter supplying power to the UPS allows for the battery life to actually get to end of life being 5 or 10 years depending on the battery.

We also find the switching time to slow on high spec PC's and servers

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    To add, A UPS is not designed for load shedding (2 hours + of backup), the purpose and I believe this is half the problem, is to keep the computer switched on long enough to allow the computer to save data then shut down.

Make sure the UPS is a proper quality UPS and not a knock off like many of he cheap ones, it should be able to link to the PC and automatically save the data and go in shut down mode without loosing any data.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.