Thread: To coil or not.

Thanks

To coil or not.

I have noticed on a number of geyser circuits that the FTE cable between the isolator and geyser is coiled in a spring like way.

Is there a reason why this is done and is it a good practice ?

Thanks
    Coiling live cables or wires is never a good idea especially if they're tightly coiled and carrying significant current then they can overheat.

Thanks
    Hi Andy. Yes, that's what I thought. Cannot understand why they do it..

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If I understand you correctly. you talking about the earth wire from the isolator to the geyser and from the bond strap to the geyser. I have been doing for as long as I can remember, the only reason we do it, to make it look nice.

Have I even had an issue with it causing a problem, not that I am aware of, some properties where I did the elctrical installations as far back as 1996, they still working, they all have coiled earth wires from the geyser to the isolator and to the bonding strap, then a copper strap from hot to cold.

But hey that is just me, maybe someone can post pictures of burnt wires or a fire caused by this practice.

Another place where you will see coiled earth wires, old generator installations that we did back in 2008/9. All our generator installations have coiled earth wires, to make it look pretty.

I am not aware of any of those generators bursting into flames, caused by a 1 m long coil of earth wire.

Some will say you must keep the earth wire as straight as possible. I have seen electrical equipment hit by lightning and tell you a short piece of earth wire isnt going to make much difference.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Was actually referring to the FTE cable ( flat twin & earth ) between the isolator and geyser.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for clearing that up, I cant say I have even see someone coiling FTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Was actually referring to the FTE cable ( flat twin & earth ) between the isolator and geyser.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.