Thread: Golf cart solar panel

Gold Member
    Thanks

Golf cart solar panel

Hello : )

Hope all well!

Different one, a client is looking to install lithium batteries into golf carts and also do a solar panel.

He asked me to check out how to do a solar panel and an MPPT.

So for starters some batteries are 36v, so Victron make an MPPT that can cater for such voltage.

Anyone have experience in this at all ? Basically will 1x panel and the Victron MPPT work ?

Concerns is that the voltage of 1 panel is not enough to start up the MPPT, read that it needs +5v of battery from the panels to start the MPPT but ya no experience and bit of a cost to buy and then find out sort of thing

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    One thing I have learnt, unless you have a lot of time on your hands, a pile of cash, not yours and want to do things like try match up batteries, MPPT's for a once off, I would stay away.

Our workshop has a pile of custom cars (like a kid in caddy store everyday I go to work) being built for customers, unless the owner has cash to throw at your everyday, trusts that you have the skill, the ATD and experience to complete the project with no time frame. then it is worth looking into.

I have an idea to build something that could take off and make millions, the only reason I haven't even started it, its like taking R200 notes and throwing them in the toilet until it turns into a profit. When it comes to custom projects, distractions and throwing cash at custom projects, I am the king of kings
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    By the way its not the voltage you need to worry about, its the charge currents, those golf carts have a decent size battery. You have to look at how fast the motor drains the battery compared to the charge current required to keep it topped up.

Most panels produce at least 40-50 VDC on a sunny day.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One concern is how the PV glass is going to handle the rough handling of the golf carts. Best look at the flexible panels, which are expensive and less efficient than the standard panels. Another problem is that the panel must face the sun for maximum energy transfer, which may occur while driving around on the golf course.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Silver Member
    Thanks
    We have several battery-operated three-wheel scooters and quads in town going slowly somewhere, even a taxi for tourists. Several of them have a glass solar panel on the roof and a 12v or 15v mppt charger for the AGM and lithium batteries. The motto of the company renting these bikes is "Van ossewa na sonkrag"

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    IF you scratch around on the internet, you will find info about fitting solar panels to golf carts, one popped up in my feed, unfortunately I wasnt in the office so I didnt save the link.

Thanks
    The internet is fantastic with plenty information, however, one must treat it like the news, especially MSM.

It is up to each one of us to be able to decipher what's usefull and true ........ and what's bull$#!$ of which there is aplenty.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanks gents ! Yes ya bit of a weird one. To also reiterate, one panel is not enough current to charge a battery in a 5hr golf game, maybe only prolong it.

On Google I see some sites say to park the cart in the sun which is futile for the longevity of a golf cart with the elements.

I guess the people who would take it have money to do things and talk About the solar powered cart at a braai.

Still seems like the client is keen to try so some trial and error and throw some R200 dollar bucks and see what happens

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk