This is going to become the next topic that is extremely important, when do you get someone to "check" your system ?

I completed an electrical project in 2007 (not solar), and have only been called back once since I completed and handed over the project.

A couple of weeks ago I was contacted and asked to do a COC for the property.

How bad was the inspection report, a page long.

How many dangerous non compliant parts did I find ? 2

what were the dangerous parts lists.

1/ Light fittings had been stolen and the wires were left hanging loose.

2/ Someone had removed an isolator and left it hanging loose.

The rest were silly things like socket outlets which were damaged, a bit of labelling, other services (not electrical) installed in the power trunking, stuff like that.

The question is how often should you get an electrician to check your elctrical installation and how critical is the checks, I would say at least every year (but not critical) or if you rent out a property, at least every time you change tenants and that would be critical.

Lets go onto solar or backup systems, how often should you get your backup system checked, I would say at least every year, it would be critical. Why would I say this, well simple, there is a lot more heating and cooling going on in a backup system than a standard elctrical installation.

Which brings me to another point to be noted, installing circuit breakers which draw high currents next to each other.

Something I have started doing, not installing circuit breakers from high current to low, but rather mixing and using din mount blanks, which I drill holes into to allow for air movement.

This applies to all types of elctrical installation, even if you are called to repair machines in a factory, it doesn't mean that the rest of the elctrical installation doesn't require attention.

In some cases we carry out thermal inspections, and this people is why it is important to find a person who is skilled and experienced in the elctrical industry to perform this task. We check everything, we dont just stand 3 m away from the panel and click. We understand the installations where we do inspections and dont jump to conclusions when we see what might look like a hot spot, we also take note of slight increases, which could become potential problems.