Thread: Solar installation related

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Solar installation related

Some interesting data:

imported solar panels worth about R17.5-billion last year.

there have been about 11 to 12 fires daily in the Gauteng central area alone.

every sixth fire is solar panel-related,”

“If you are using a guy down the road to install your solar panels and inverter, or you are overloading a plug point and your house burns down as a result, your claim is likely to be rejected,” Naked Insurance chief executive Ernest North warned.

Your solar panel safety checklist

• As the leading cause of solar panel fires is poor installation, check whether the solar photovoltaic (PV) service provider has substantial experience and references, and follow up on them;
    • Ask if the PV service provider designed, supplied and installed the system, or whether it outsourced some of the work;
    • Ensure your PV service provider is accredited with a third-party quality assurance programme such as PV GreenCard from the South African Photovoltaic Industry Association, or the P4 Platform programme;
    • Make sure the installer applies to the municipality to authorise the system for grid connection, thus ensuring the safety of the electrical network, your home and all who work on the electrical grids;
    • Instal an shut-off switch to disconnect the solar panels from your electrical system. This will not de-electrify the panels, but switching off the power in an emergency can help firefighters manage a fire more easily;
    • Check the wiring. Solar panels use electrical wires to transmit energy from the panels to an inverter. Electrical faults can be caused by damaged or incorrectly installed wiring. If the wiring is too thin or not properly insulated, it can lead to overheating, a short circuit and ultimately a fire;
    • Get a structural engineering assessment – make sure your roof can withstand the weight and wind load of solar PV panels, where necessary;
    • Secure building plan approval if the panels protrude more than 600mm above the highest point of the roof, if they are raised more than 1.5m above any point on the roof or if ground-mounted, the panels in their installed position project more than 2.1m above the natural or finished ground level;
    • Increase the distance between the roof and the solar panel modules by at least 6cm to 11cm. The Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate says this will reduce the risk of a solar panel fire;
    • Use noncombustible plates between the solar panels and the roof;
    • Make sure that coupling connections are securely covered;
    • Have a qualified company carry out regular inspections and maintenance – the older your solar panels, the higher the risk of fire;
    • Ensure that electrical connections are made by the same manufacturer – both ends of a DC connection should be from the same manufacturer;
    • Give some consideration to the material you use for your roof, as this can mitigate the spread of fires. Clay and concrete tiles are classified as noncombustible and would be safer choices; and
    • Beware of installing too many solar panels and/or connecting too many electrical devices to your system, as an overload can cause overheating, which can lead to a fire.

To avoid fires, your solar panels must be properly installed (dailymaverick.co.za)
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I would like to see how many of these are battery related compared to solar related

every sixth fire is solar panel-related,”
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I am not going to say anything about this comment, read it and tell us what you think.

or you are overloading a plug point and your house burns down as a result, your claim is likely to be rejected,” Naked Insurance chief executive Ernest North warned.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I just smiled when I read this comment.

• Ensure your PV service provider is accredited with a third-party quality assurance programme such as PV GreenCard from the South African Photovoltaic Industry Association, or the P4 Platform programme;

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Something I agree with, thank goodness for the solar DC isolator on the side of the inverter.

• Instal an shut-off switch to disconnect the solar panels from your electrical system. This will not de-electrify the panels, but switching off the power in an emergency can help firefighters manage a fire more easily;

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    And the correct cross supports and a fabric between the roof tile and the baton.

• Get a structural engineering assessment – make sure your roof can withstand the weight and wind load of solar PV panels, where necessary;

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    This is an interesting comment, once again always back to control over product being imported, approved and sold in SA. I would like to know if anyone can point out a solar installer who uses brand specific connectors. The question you should be asking, considering every 6 fire is solar related, how many claims will be rejected? How many of the products you see on social media are approved. I have seen some real no name brands posted by people who dont seem to realize the consequences of your picture being shared on social media.

• Ensure that electrical connections are made by the same manufacturer – both ends of a DC connection should be from the same manufacturer;

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    How often do you read of installers bragging about installing 5 kva units with the entire house connected, no split circuits.

• Beware of installing too many solar panels and/or connecting too many electrical devices to your system, as an overload can cause overheating, which can lead to a fire.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Finally:

Think about it 1 in 6 claims being solar related, that must be costing the insurance companies a lot of money.

My driveway claim after the floods was rejected because I was told the tar was too thin and not installed properly.

The question you should be asking, I have said this many times in the past, not if your solar is installed as per the SANS regs, you should be asking is your installation insurance approved.

the key points to note:

Was it designed by an approved ECSA engineer?

Is your system registered with the supplier?

Was your roof inspected prior to installation?

Was your installation done by a green card or P4 card holder?

Was it signed off by an elctrical inspector, who supervised the installation from start to finish? (this part seems to have been missed for some reason... maybe its not required if done by a green card holder)

Did your insurance company verify that all the steps above were taken and all the relevant documentation, approvals and certifications were submitted, prior to approving your cover, or do they take your money every month, until there is a claim, then list all the reasons why they shouldn't have taken your money form the start