Thread: Test report/COC

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Test report/COC

I have spent the past week doing a few test reports and COC's, in preparation for what I have to do in the next couple of weeks.

It got me thinking about how to deal with test reports/COC's going forward.

A few things to note, before you close the laptop and head to site (hopefully you are one of those inspectors who actually go to site).

What is it you are trying to achieve?

Check and test a complete new installation, that you have personally checked from the start to completion.

Check and test an addition to an elctrical installation which you have also personally checked from start to completion.

Check and test a new backup solar install that you have personally monitored from start to finish.

Or maybe just a check and test on an existing installation to make sure it is reasonable safe prior to a sale.

No matter what the type of installation, a visual check will be completed, identifying the majority of the non compliant items.

For example, lights and plugs not working, ELU's that dont trip using the test button, equipment installed outside in non weather proof enclosures ( very common problem, people seem to think a round PVC box is IP rated) they seem to think a little silicon around the cover and screws will ip 67 the box , I know you just have to shake your head and move forward, unless it is a new property one of my customer shave just purchased.

Random checks on an installation with old steel pipe will normally reveal no earth at the light fitting or ceiling fan, you get the idea.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Reminds me of my very first inspection for my Portfolio of Evidence. I talked a friend of mine into doing an inspection for free and she said she had tripping issues but she found a "very nice electrician who fixed the problem in 15 minutes" and swore by this chaps seemingly psychic abilities...

What he had done was to cut EVERY earth conductor in the DB and all the socket outlets and geyser.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POE Earth.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	8896

Oh how naive I was :-)

My summary of experiences to my mentor:
    Lessons learned:
    1. Don’t assume or trust anything.
    2. Test your instruments – I had elevated resistance measures on my multimeter (shown in
    the pictures). When I re-tested using the resistance measure on the Megger and compared,
    they were out by over 1,4Ω.
    I discovered that one set of leads was faulty. When replaced the multimeter read exactly the
    same as the Megger.
    3. Take your time. I was anxious by how long inspections take. Be thorough.
    4. Be open with the client – show and explain the faults.
    5. Understand the output of ones instruments.
    6. Always act with integrity
    If the purpose of this Portfolio of Evidence is to show completed CoC’s then I have failed.
    If the purpose is to identify and fix electrical issues resulting in a safe installation, then I believe I
    have passed with distinction.

Thanks
    Maybe someone with more knowledge or experience can explain in easy to understand English, the difference between safe, reasonably safe and unsafe.

I believe that there's a huge conflict of interest when it comes to issuing coc's for work carried out by oneself. It's like marking one's own exam paper after writing an exam.

Other than having inspectors from DOL doing random checks on coc's issued, I cannot think of any other easy way of eradicating this conflict of interests problem, and it is a problem. As far as I know, AIA's only get involved when a consumer lays a complaint.

There's a reason why according to OHS act, an AIA may not do electrical contracting work. The obvious reason is to prevent a conflict of interests.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Safe:

You verify the design was done correctly, cable sizes checked as per design, the correct components were installed and the location of the equipment installed.

You strip (open up) the entire installation and check everything from the earth lug on the meter to the earth on the pool pump, which includes, terminations etc.

You test the entire site, every single switch, light, circuit breaker, etc.

Reasonable safe:

you basically randomly visually inspect stuff, you randomly test components of the elctrical installations and verify that it is reasonably safe.

This could also explain why there has never been a court case to this day that I am aware of, I dont even think the 2 old child who was electrocuted to death, ended up in court.

Unsafe:

I ont need to tell you, but for those who dont know.

A metal socket outlet which has been replaced with a plastic socket outlets which the unskilled labourer who was left on your site to replace all the socket outlets, who didn't know why there no earth wire, he just assumed it wasn't required, is a good example of a common problem.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have considered using an independent tester to check our installations, I dont know of a competent person who I would trust.

From my experience, that saying if you want something done right", do it yourself comes to mind

You just have to go onto any social media platform and read some of the responses to see how bad this industry has become.

There are the ones who think they know everything, the ones who know how to copy and paste parts of the regs, then you get the ones who just copy and past the same info shared on the group in other groups.

It seems that many electricians are trained in a manner that they dont know how to think for themselves, they might know the regs word for word, but dont know how and where to apply the regs.

It good to see that people are taking notes and the diagrams for example are improving, for example the AC control box now has a main switch and a circuit breaker for the inverter.

I have a person working with me at the moment, who has caught my attention, why because of simple things, like using a PZ screwdriver on a PZ screw. When I request a star screwdriver, he arrives with 5 screwdrivers, why because I didnt specify the type or size. It seems like such silly things, but means a lot to me.

The tea lady is another person who I would employ to work on site with me without blinking an eye, she has the same OCD issues like I do.

Youngster or people who are battling to find work, need to pay attention, its these silly things that make you better than the rest and you will stand out in the crowd, to this day I have never been asked to produce any of my qualifications, I dont need to draw a picture for the smart people , you know will know why.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    While on the topic of employment, sitting at home or on the beach waiting for that call is not going to happen anytime soon, or feel your cellphone is the most important thing in your life could explain why you are still looking for a job.

If you are smart and worth the time of day, you would go out and offer to work for a company for free just to learn, if you are a hard working person willing to learn, chances are within a week the company would start paying you.

knowledge is power, experience has become way more valuable than certificates.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    A tip for customers and other electricians.

If you want to reduce maintenance and repair costs in any part of a property, take the time to create sketches and data on everything that is powered on the property, from the gate motor to the plug in the garden for the lawn mower and everything in between.

A test report/COC, is pretty useless unless someone has taken the time to map out and record everything on your property.

10 years ago electrical was pretty simple, any fool could fault find and trace circuits, however as thing move into a more complex system, adding solar, smart devices, apps on the phone etc. It is getting a little more complicated.

I hear the most faults logged at the service centre where they repair faulty solar equipment, is installer related. Think about it next time your unit pops or is faulty, ask yourself is it a faulty unit or did the installer damage the unit.
    Last edited by Isetech; 11-Mar-24 at 08:09 AM.