Thread: Fibre and network cables in electrical wireways

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Fibre and network cables in electrical wireways

This is becoming very common, I spend 5 hours yesterday trying to remove or at least disconnect and cut fibre and network cables from trunking, conduits and strapped together.

Hence the question, I am not aware of any fibre or network cable that has the same rating as elctrical cables, which is why we use a cable which is correctly rated for CT's in solar installs.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Some say that you should never run network cables next to the electrical cables, yet if you look at large office blocks you will see that all they run within 50-100 mm. Some would say that 200 to 300 mm for unshielded cables and less for shielded.

Fibre cable are not affected by interference like with network cables, however if the fibre has shielding (metal sheath) then you would need to consider the voltage.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    SANS says no to data cables in the same wireway but I know it is a common practice, even running solar wires, which are DC wires.
    The question now is" Who is right? Us adhering to the law or the people using our trunkings and wireways to save time and money?" Do we look the other way and just give a COC cause if we don't somebody else will.
    Greetings

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    You can run network/data cables provided they are designed for the application, have the correct insulation and all that stuff. When we build large control systems for water treatment plants etc. it is sometimes impossible to separate the cabling/ wiring.

It is not a recommended practice, some would say it could cause a few problems like interference or crosstalk.

An example is mylar cable (screened, shielded and insulated) , we use to extend the CT wire, I install it in the same wireway as the AC power cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    SANS says no to data cables in the same wireway but I know it is a common practice, even running solar wires, which are DC wires.
    The question now is" Who is right? Us adhering to the law or the people using our trunkings and wireways to save time and money?" Do we look the other way and just give a COC cause if we don't somebody else will.
    Greetings