Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eskom contact to sort high Earth loop

Gold Member
    Thanks

Eskom contact to sort high Earth loop

Hello all : )

Hoping for an easier way or even the right way but trying to talk to someone at Eskom is pulling teeth.

I have a client with a high earth loop which needs looking at and sorting however with the chatbot of Eskom and the call centre I am not winning.

How do I report a high earth loop or even how do I talk to a human at Eskom ?

Many thanks !

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    You send a danger notice to them via email, I find it works well with out local municipality.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    You will find it in Annex H and highlight the notice in red.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The reason you MUST email it to them, because it is potentially dangerous and nobody remembers anything when the shyte hits the fan.

I have sent many of these notices, in some cases they respond within a day and others they still haven't responded years later, CYA, I have proof that it was sent.

It is like comments/advice/cut and paste information you read on social media, its like talking trash in the pub.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    I have sent many of these notices, in some cases they respond within a day and others they still haven't responded years later, CYA, I have proof that it was sent.
    And don't issue a COC until the high loop reading issue is resolved.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I send the email, wait 1 week then issue the COC with a note and a copy of the email attached to customer recommending that they follow up the repair. Its not your fault the supplier doesn't respond to a danger notice.

It is like sitting with the fire department, waiting for the electricity department to answer the phone while the pole is on fire

In most cases there has been a high resistance for a long time prior to your visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    And don't issue a COC until the high loop reading issue is resolved.

Thanks
    Have you tried hitting in an earth spike and re testing ?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I am busy with a test report and COC for a project I did in 2007.

A few minor repairs and we are good to go.

Something I noticed when doing the loop impedance test at the main DB, L-N = 0.4 , L-E 0.00.

It seems almost impossible I have never seen 0.00 ohms while testing an installation. Even if the neutral and earth is connected together on the pole. I am going to return on Monday, just to verify the reading and check zero the leads again.

The loop tests on the plugs around the building where around what I expected to see.

We have experienced many challenges with the power in this area, volt drops down to 160 VAC and as high as 269 VAC (monitoring with the fluke 435). We have also had the entire building electronic blown to pieces (literally), that was an expensive ooops, insurance felt that because their was no bad weather/lightning on the day, no claim. Yes we have every surge protection and over current device fitted in multiple locations in the building.

On Friday one of the street light caught on fire.

Thanks
    Seems as if something went wrong with the measuring instrument. Theoretically, on a perfect supply from a transformer that is not centre tapped, the L-E loop impedance cannot and should never be lower than the L-N impedance. The only time this would happen is if there's a faulty neutral conductor, which in your case is not the case.

It's going to be interesting to hear what the outcome is after you've been back to site and re tested.

I would suggest that for some or other reason, the previous readings were inaccurate.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hello : )

So update, I used the Alfred chat bot from Eskom, nothing about high loop but filled it in as such as danger and potential shock etc.

Anyway they chao went on Saturday mid day and said he tested and that all is ok, he tested at the box.

My fault as I assumed it was the supply cable as they had issues with water pipes in the same area so thought damage happened there,

Will be back in the week to test from the main earth terminal to the DB earth terminal to see if that is ok or damaged and then do the earth loop test at the main DB for supplier side outside.

Shows you, in a rush and just assume but should have tested extra, didn't have my long wonder lead so that is ok the car now for when I go.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast