Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eskom contact to sort high Earth loop

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Update, went back and ran a long lead from the earth terminal at the supplier box on boundary wall and all tested well.

Then did the earth loop test at the supplier main switch and got the same bad reading, so back to trying to get Eskom back there to sort...

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Why didnt you just do the loop test at the suppliers box.

Disconnect the earth wire and switch of the breaker if you are concerned parallel earth loops.

Another method of identifying bad connections is to load the electrical installation while carrying out loop impedance tests. An example, turn on all the stove plates and you will see how quickly things escalate.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    At the time I was there I didn't have the key to open it, client had locks on it and per Sans AFAIK it's turn off main switch at the main DB and test from there.

I also didn't have my long wonder lead either and 99% of the time a high earth loop is from supplier side.

I recall an old thread where you spoke of loading the installation but I have not done it yet with doing an Earth loop test. I can imagine it can be interesting as current leaks to earth.

I didn't disconnect the main earth to isolate parallel paths as the earth bar is under the enclosure and befuk hard to get to and in this country not a thing. Also keeping in parallel paths in my view is a true reading for the electrical installation as a whole.

Not like the UK where you can clearly see and easily disconnect the main earth, here it's a bit of a thing and per Sans not stating to do it it is not done.

But I also take PFC on both earth and neutral paths to make sure all good as well

Gold Member
    Thanks
    So reported a new fault under a dangerous situation.

The chap phoned me and said that if the installation is fine and have good readings of the earth cable then it's obviously Eskom side in which the CoC can be submitted as the actual electrical installation is ok ok clients side.

Very Interesting!

My first thought is that a Line to Earth fault won't trip the smallest breaker there... Anyway thought I would share.

Saved his number and in S.A terms will meet over a coke to try get it sorted.....failing all this it will be a 200 to 300mA earth leakage device which feeds the whole house to meet earth fault

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    So reported a new fault under a dangerous situation.

The chap phoned me and said that if the installation is fine and have good readings of the earth cable then it's obviously Eskom side in which the CoC can be submitted as the actual electrical installation is ok ok clients side.

Very Interesting!

My first thought is that a Line to Earth fault won't trip the smallest breaker there... Anyway thought I would share.

Saved his number and in S.A terms will meet over a coke to try get it sorted.....failing all this it will be a 200 to 300mA earth leakage device which feeds the whole house to meet earth fault

I agree with Dave. I would not have issued the COC.

The chances are quite good that an acceptable reading would have been obtained by hitting in an earth spike and re testing.

That's the route that I would have taken.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    No CoC issues yet, the Eskom guy said as the installation ok and that it's Eskom side means i could issue the CoC.

I have not done so as yet and planning to try meet up to show him the results and then they get it sorted.

What this shows me is there is no more care about what is right and anything and everything can be in a grey area to pass blame.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Back to the earthing arrangement, chances are they will just bridge the neutral and earth on the pole or in the CDU, depending on the supply and place you live this could also be dangerous.

We log a fault and email the danger notice to the supplier and the user/owner attach the notice to the COC and move on.

There is being negligent and there is taking steps to attempt to do the right thing.

You could go the route Derlyn suggested, with an earth spike, this could start costing a few bob.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12