Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lithium batteries

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Ok we accept its the installers fault, because we are uneducated, ok.

Please share with everyone, a list of courses which are available to us uneducated installers, specific to lithium battery installations, which includes a list of all the documents required for the safe location of lithium batteries, the risks and hazards associated to the installation of lithium batteries.

Better still, we all know that is not possible, just show me a basic guideline for the safe installation of lithium batteries in SA and I dont want to see the Australia basic guidelines I have shared on numerous occasions.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Couple of questions.

Can one get insurance for an electric vehicle and if so, can one park it in the garage ? What happens if the batteries in an EV catch alight in the garage ?
    Will the insurance pay ?

In Gonubie, I saw a house with the garage burnt as a result of the battery catching fire. The garage and all it's contents as well as the main DB were totally destroyed but due to the firewall, the house itself was saved with no damage.

I'd say, the garage is probably the safest place for the battery, but that's my personal opinion based on what I saw.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    Did the battery cause the fire?
    According to the home owner and the fire brigade ......... yes.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    Lets see what you would consider before rushing out and "investing" in an expensive lithium battery.

The question you should ask yourself is what certification does the battery manufacturer offer, do the certifications comply with the SA standards?

What protection does the battery offer, at a cell level, the type of BMS, fuse protection and circuit breakers ?

Do they offer an operating manual for the installer, with warnings, safe installation and operation instructions ?

Do they have a program in place for the safe disposal of the batteries or cells ?
    When buying batteries the spec sheet is important to determine if it is 1C etc
    Even more important is to read the warranty terms and conditions that are not always forth coming.

There are batteries claiming 1C capabilities along with a 100% spike for 10 sec - When you read the warranty it is 0,2C at 25 degrees along with 80% DOD vs spec at 90DOD and only 1 cycle a day and that before the next cycle starts it is charged to 100%
    Other batteries are 1C discharge and 0.5C charge , some have temperature windows of 15degrees to 35 degrees others 20 to 30 degrees or use the 10 year on battery and 5 year on BMS or 10 years and Mwh hours which will be used up before the 1- years

Do not go on the spec sheet alone - make sure you read the warranty terms as well

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123